1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hail ebbin hurts!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, May 31, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Right. So I drive down to southern Mongolia to umpire a baseball game. The directions I have to this field that I've never been to are HORRIBLE. I kept looking in vain for the field. I finally got to the game about 1:50 p.m. It was supposed to start at 1:30.

Anyway, when I get there, a machine pitch league game was going on at the field we were supposed to play on. When that game ends, we walk over and start measuring the bases while dark clouds ominously made their presence felt.

Off in the distance, I hear thunder. Before long, I see lightning. Anyway, I talked to the home coach and we both agreed not to play a game with lightning nearby. By the time we got people off the field, it started to rain. Hard. And wind seriously kicked in. Then hail.

I waited for a moment of relative calm and went to an underhang between the shed near the field and where I parked my car. It got insanely worse. Finally, I decided I had to get the hell out of there, so I walked through the wind, the rain and standing water. On the way to my car, I got hit by a few pellets of hail. They weren't big, but they hurt!

When I got to my car, I felt like I was walking in a river. Oddly enough, when I got INTO my car and started to drive gingerly, the rain suddenly died down.

What an ebbin day. And we haven't even hit 4 p.m.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Rain would be nice here. But instead, we're pushing 95 or so degrees with no rain -- or cloud cover, even -- in sight. So much for those strong storms that were supposed to make their way through the Louisville area today.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I thought this was going to be something German-related.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Not quite.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Indeed.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

F_T, glad to hear the hail pellets didn't do you in.

When my family was stationed overseas, I was walking to basketball practice when it started to rain. Hard. I ended up walking about 600-800 yards in this crap.

None of us it was the beginning of a typhoon that lasted 36 hours.

Draft saved Draft deleted