1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Had my knee scoped today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, May 12, 2009.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I've been dreading it forever but I was amazed how well it went. Was pretty much awake for the whole thing. I was able to listen to the talk in the operating room since they gave me something to relax me and a spinal that wore off in about two hours. I went in at 11:15, was back in my recovery room at 1ish and was walking --- yes walking --- out the front door at 2. Now, it's almost 8 p.m. and virtually no pain. (Although that's still not going to stop me from popping a pain med before bed!) Let's hope this continues tomorrow.

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

What was it scoped for? Loose cartilage?

3. TwoGloves

Torn meniscus. Did it a year ago and had been putting it off forever. Since I'm out of a job in three weeks, I figured now was the time so I'm up and running (or walking really fast!) June 1. Cartilage was floating around in there and a piece of the meniscus was moving around causing the pain.

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

Never had knee problems (yet), and I'm thankful. Pretty much scar tissue in each of my ankles, though, requiring McDavid Level 3 braces each time I play basketball.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I had the exact same operation in 1971. Went into the hospital on Monday night, operated on on Tuesday AM, wasn't released until Saturday AM and was on crutches for 2-3 weeks afterwards.

6. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Glad it went well. I'm also glad to hear how easy it is. I think I need a scope and this gives me confidence to just go and get rid of the pain.

7. TwoGloves

Here's today's lesson: Always wear golf shoes. Got some new Nike Sumo woods last year, went out to hit them in March on a crappy course with tee boxes that weren't filled in yet and my back foot slipped out from under me on a piece of dirt. Didn't fall but all the weight was on my left leg. Finished walking the final six holes, got home and an hour later had a real pain in the knee. (But, I did hit it about 260 down the middle into the group in front of me, chipped up to about eight feet and made my first birdie of the year! Still, wasn't worth it at all.)

8. TwoGloves

It is amazing how far modern medicine has come. Just think if somebody like Bobby Orr had played today rather than when he did.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I enjoyed watching mine a few years ago (removal of meniscus and the flopping remains of my ACL, in lieu of full ACL reconstruction). It was like seeing cotton candy get buzzsawed. I actually walked out, too, and was off crutches about a week later (although I had a scare driving home from Boston my first night off crutches when I got a pain in my right upper chest, called state police and at their behest pulled over and took an ambulance ride to the hospital. My fears of an embolism, fortunately, were unfounded - I had apparently strained a muscle hoisting myself in and out of the car).
    The best thing about my surgery day was the high I spent the rest of the day, thanks to my Oxy prescription. Thank God I made the mistake of popping one before bed and waking up the next day feeling pretty sick - never touched another. I completely understand how people can get hooked on Oxy.
    The next year, Mrs. T received a Vicodin prescription, but she was too scared of the stuff to actually use it. We wasted pills worth four digits in street value.
    Seven years later, my right knee has been fine - I do just about everything I did before I injured it. My sister is a workers comp lawyer, and she agrees I made the right call - she's had a number of cases involving ACL reconstruction gone bad,

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

As another one who's battled through a lifetime of ankle injuries and still playing ball, might I suggest the ASO.

http://www.medspec.com/OnlineProducts.cfm?ID=1

They're the best ankle braces, hands-down. The same ones all the NBA and college guys wear. They're not cheap, but well worth the money. So light and comfortable, yet very supportive. A hundred times better than the McDavids (that I wore religiously until finding the ASO).

11. pallister

pallister Guest

That reminds me. Doctor told me in 1991 after a basketball injury I needed knee surgery. I gotta get on that.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

"As soon as I graduate college, Doc, I swear."

Draft saved Draft deleted