1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Had it been reported that Steinbrenner has dementia?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Oops.

I'm going to now punish myself by listening to the etudes of Frank Liszt.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

There's not a whole lot there that hasn't been rumored and whispered about in NY for about 2 years...except Lidz now gives us his description of the failing Steinbrenner.

I think there is a major ethical question, however, about how Lidz went about this. He admits he was repeatedly turned down for interview requests, so he used Steinbrenner's old frined -- also in failing health -- to get to Steinbrenner.
    The fact the he "identified himself as a writer working on a story right away," doesn't wash with me. All Steinbrenner, in an obviously lessened physical and mental state, thought was his old friend McEwen was there to see him, he knew nothing of a a writer working on a story until the guy alerady was in his house.
    McEwen and Lidz blindsided him and that is a serious ethical breach, in my opinion.

5. Boom_70

So in your world of journalism it's perfectly fine to take advantage of 2 old men in failing health to get a story that most can surmise anyway with no real need to know the detail.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Great to see ya, spnited.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Surmising ain't the same as being there. He didn't take advantage of McEwen. He knew exactly what he was doing.

8. Boom_70

Ace great to hear from ya.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Just don't subject yourself to Lisztomania. One of the worst ideas for a movie ever.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

McEwen said "I don't care" if George doesn't like it.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, I'd wondered for a while if George was perhaps being hidden from public view.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Murray Chass has hinted at this, for a number of years . . . so even for the broad (NYT-reading) public, it comes as zero surprise.

Some career Yankee apologists will take exception, but so what?

Draft saved Draft deleted