1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Had it been reported that Steinbrenner has dementia?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Mushnick did 11 days ago. Said Big Stein is totally done.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07022007/sports/whos_the_boss__sports_phil_mushnick.htm

All reasonable signs indicate that his dementia - he'll be 77 the day after tomorrow - is now so profound that he is being carefully hidden from public view, appearing only in occasional, circumspect quotes issued by his longtime personal public relations man, Howard Rubenstein.

It's understandable. A delicate, respectful and sensitive approach has been taken.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, in about 1973.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

How did the author arrive at this conclusion? Is he a doctor specializing in geriatric medicine? Does he have sources who have told him of a diagnosis? There's no indication of either in the story. I find this troubling.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

It's been hinted at for at least a year or so that I've heard and I don't read the NYC tabloids regularly.

5. Mushnick first implied it at least a year ago. Murray Chass also talked aboutthe rumors last year:

Rumors about Steinbrenner have been rampant in recent years. Some people say that he has become forgetful; others say he has lost some of his spontaneity. Some who have spent time with him say that whatever anyone may see in the current Steinbrenner is strictly the result of age.
    Steinbrenner will be 76 in less than three months, and it's only natural to slow down at that age. But this particular 75-year-old man may find such developments embarrassing and be less willing to subject himself to public scrutiny.

When Steinbrenner does appear in public, as he did at a hospital function Monday, for example, he seldom speaks and is rushed offstage as quickly as possible.

New York newspapers have taken to shadowing Steinbrenner before and after games at the Stadium. Their reporters await his arrival and don't abandon their posts until after his departure. George doesn't tarry.

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

If true, this sad. May happen to some of us one day.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Tremendous pragmatism by Frank Lidz (with a big assist to Tom McEwen) in giving us the first real look at Steinbrenner in years....

http://sports.aol.com/mlb/story/_a/baseball-after-the-boss/20070802185709990001

-------------------
    The money passages:

When he sees McEwen, a big, goofy grin spreads across his face. "Great to see ya, Tommy," he exclaims.

"Great to see you, George," McEwen says. He introduces me as a writer working on a story and asks about Steinbrenner’s wife, Joan.

"Great to see ya, Tommy," Steinbrenner says.

McEwen asks about his sons, Hank and Hal.

"Great to see ya, Tommy," he says.

McEwen asks about his daughters, Jennifer and Jessica.

"Great to see ya, Tommy," he says.

McEwen asks about his health.

Steinbrenner sighs heavily and mutters, "Oh, I’m all right."

He doesn't look all right. In fact, he looks dreadful. His body is bloated; his jawline has slackened into a triple chin; his skin looks as if a dry-cleaner bag has been stretched over it. Steinbrenner's face, pale and swollen, has a curiously undefined look. His features seem frozen in a permanent rictus of careworn disbelief.

--------------------

Now, do you think the "Great to see ya, Tommy" repetition is dementia.... or his showing the disregard for the interloper Lidz?

That was my big question that I can't figure for myself by just reading the words.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Lidz went in under false pretenses to write the story and I think it's wrong.

If he does have dementia the most amazing part is that is has been kept a secret and no one within Yankee organizaion is talking.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Huh.... he immediately identified himself as a writer.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

For a no-holds-barred air traveler, you sure are a namby pamby when it comes to reporting, Boom.

11. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

If he identified himself as Frank Lidz, as you identified him, then Boom has a point. Sort of.

OK, not really. Just wanted to point out his name is Franz.

12. IU90

IU90 Member

The lack of any response or denial of these rumors over the last year speaks volumes. It's very clear Big George ain't well and probably never will be again.

Draft saved Draft deleted