1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Had a bad day, feat. Toby Keith

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pilot, Dec 26, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

I am not paying the Church to entertain me and to forget about the world around me for a couple of hours.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Given her musical background and pedigree, that's extremely unlikely. It's possible to make a decent living in the Texas country music scene without breaking nationally (see also: Cory Morrow) and Natalie Maines would have done just fine on her own.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Do you really want to get involved in discussing pedigrees with Larry the Cable Guy?

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

He's allowed to pander, and please do not tell me he is not pandering with the FDNY hat on, but I am allowed to think that he and George W. will be the poster children for everything that went wrong with this country.

Have you ever thought what the classrooms of 2020 will teach when they look back on the years 2001 - 2008?

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Given that it was only by kicking out their orginal lead singer and hiring Maines that the sisters were able to break out, I think they know which side their bread is buttered on.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"Masters of War" was published in '63 on "Freewheelin'..." Dylan's second album, which also included "Blowin' in the Wilnd", "Hard Rain", and "Don't Think Twice".

Toby Keith could write songs for the next five million years and not come up with one even 1/10 as good as any one of those.

There was no anti-war sentiment in '63 because there was, for all intents and purposes, no war.

7. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

JR, that last sentence: I would say you are as full of crap as a Christmas turkey; but since you didn't live down here at the time--right?--I'll just assume you don't know what was going on. In the fall of 1963 we could smell the draft coming like a rainstorm on the horizon. On my hall in the dorm we were all very conscious of it, and Viet Nam, because of a big kid from Norfolk who was a Dylan fan and very informed from the left of what was afoot. A guy who had graduated HS a year before me was at West Point and was keeping me informed from the other side of the coin. (Later he became, and still is, MIA.)

There was anti-war sentiment aplenty at ground level. Pro also, but not so much at the U. I attended; more back home. Like most of my peers, at that stage I was interested primarily in covering my own ass. I wound up going anyway.

And Fenian--good arguments, but as you well know--you read well--I never meant to compare Dylan and Keith's lyrics. Hell, in the spring of '68 I taught a U. freshman poetry class and used some Dylan lyrics for an entire class session. (The old gal at the draft board gave me a year of grad school--she was pulling the strings.) I couldn't see doing that with Toby Keith's lyrics. Sociology class, perhaps.

How do you know that Toby Keith wrote that song purely for cheap profits, Fenian? Do you have some quotes, or are you working from intellectual evidence? If so, are you using your usual stringent standards for the determination of guilt, say as with Roger Clemens, for example? I'm not poking you, I'm really curious.

Happy New Year to ya both.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Let me make it clearer for you and add "widespread" to the last sentence.

I'd bet most Americans, including a lot of university students, couldn't have found Vietnam on a map in 1963.

Widespread anti-war sentiment on campus didn't begin until around 1965. There were rumblings prior to that, but just within the left wingers (who were real left wingers back then)

Hell, the Golf of Tonkin didn't happen until 1964.

" A guy in a dorm" "a guy at West Point" and "teaching Dylan in a freshman poetry class" hardly qualify as a peace movement.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

You know what you get when you go to church. You know what you get when you go to a Dixie Chicks show. You know what you get when you go to a Streisand concert. If you don't like it, then go elsewhere.

I won't go into a KFC and bitch that they don't have donuts. It just doesn't make sense.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I think you missed my point, which was that Natalie Maines would have done all right on her own.

Must be all the catnip.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Catnip has a way of fucking with your brain . . .

12. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Making it clearer is a good thing. Besides that, I'll just let your statements and mine stand, with this exception: anti-war sentiment, even widespread, does not equal a peace movement. I didn't mention a peace movement.

You and I are roughly the same age, JR. I assume you are providing your slant on historical events for the edification of others. As you proceed to tell me more about my own life and what I experienced, just understand that your words won't change what I lived.

Draft saved Draft deleted