1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Had a bad day, feat. Toby Keith

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pilot, Dec 26, 2007.

1. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

At least Cash was no hat act. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Merle is appalled by the whole thing.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Unlike many of your favorite artists, Keith has constantly made trips to visit and play for troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. He's donated a lot of time andmoney over the last few years to their cause, not the U.S. governments, but to the troops' cause.

There are not many entertainers doing as much as he has for the troops. I saw a recent interview with him were he was told by both Republican and Democratic friends that there was no way they would go over there and risk their necks. And yet he still goes. I don't think you know what your talking about when you say he is simply out to make money off the troops.

Your logic makes any artist who pens a song about a dead relative or friend, or even a strange story they read about in a paper, saw on the news or heard passed down through generation wrong for doing so.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I've always been curious, why didn't more guys in the '60s and '70s just join the naval reserves or air national guard or whatever, fulfill their military obligation that way and avoid Vietnam?

4. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Can't speak for other parts of the country, but in my neck of the woods, the way those outfits were run, you had to have special qualifications = know somebody. We (my brother and I, at least)never held it against 'em; we figured we would have done the same thing, had we been able.

My brother was in the Army National Guard. He wound up walking point through minefields in VietNam more than once. Came back in one piece.

I was able to join the Navy after college. I did MarketTime offshore, and spent six months on the ground as well. That's just the way it was.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Or, many of those artists aren’t publicizing how much money they are donating. Time, well, that is something that some people have lots of and others don’t. Good for Mr. Keith though.

So, according to Mr. Keith people told him that they wouldn’t go over there because it isn’t safe. Well, gee, if it comes from the artist pimping himself out and bragging about all his good work, well it MUST be true!

Not directed at me, but I will say that I don’t believe this. I think Keith was fine to make the song. Personally, I think the song sucks. Then again, I think 99.999999% of all country music sucks. So, Mr. Keith really didn’t have much of a chance to win me over anyway.

6. Not for nothing, but I think Al Franken has made as many visits over to the troops as Toby has, and I know he's travelled with Worley a couple of times because he used to have Worley on his show to talk about it.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

For political gain?

8. Probably not, since he was doing it long before he was running for anything.

9. RedSmithClone

Well that's good. I'm glad somebody on the left actually takes the time to go over there. Franken, Robin Williams. Not many others.

10. Yeah, Joe Biden's kid and Doris Kearns Goodwin's kid don't count, I guess.
    How are the Romney boys doing, keeping the jihadis out of the sports bars in Nashua?

11. RedSmithClone

Wait, Biden is on the left? It seems to me he went more to the center over the last couple years. I've actually grown to like the guy.

And I was talking more entertainers than politicos. After all, if you are a politician, especially one who despite denying it or trying to mince words, gave Bush a blank check to go to war.

By the way, those friggin' Romney kids are scary as all hell. Tit, Tat, Kit, Kat. I mean how about some real names for these kids Mitt?

Draft saved Draft deleted