1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hacking his way to SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From the Pipeline:

Damon Hack to SI.

This is one-sourced but it is one of my most reliable sources. If anyone else has confirmation, or the opposite, let me know.

2. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

damn, i love his stuff at NY Times. What is the world coming to?

3. SI instead of ESPN.com? What a throwback! This guy's old-school.

4. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

As far as we can tell, it's not totally a done deal, sir.
    http://thebiglead.com/?p=2867
    We had this item on this recently and will have a follow shortly.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Your link takes me to a blank page.

6. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Darn. Server issues. It's fun doing a blog on the cheap!

7. Hold off on this. Hack has been speaking to ESPN and met with John Walsh late last week.

8. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

BI is correct. But Hack took the SI job, at least according to one source. We just posted about it.

BI, perhaps you know ... did ESPN see the item we ran on August 6 and make a move? Because as far as we can tell, ESPN came at him the day after our post.

Very much like the ESPN-SI battle. Always fun.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

By the way, BI, SI is after me big-time, if you want to counter or anything.

No, I won't move to Bristol, but I will tele-commute.

10. No, informal discussions have been ongoing for a few months.

11. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Interesting. Boy, it sure would be nice to have Rob King's email for questions like these ....

also .. Jason Reid to the WP from the LAT

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I just got an e-mail about it:

New York, August 21, 2007 – Damon Hack has been hired as a senior writer at Sports Illustrated, it was announced today by SI Group Editor Terry McDonell.

“Damon is an enormous talent,” said McDonell. “He will now reach a national audience with immediate and powerful impact in Sports Illustrated and on SI.com.”

Hack, 35, has spent the last five years covering the PGA Tour and National Football League for The New York Times. He will primarily cover the NFL and golf for Sports Illustrated.

Prior to joining the Times, Hack covered the New York Knicks and the PGA Tour for Newsday for two-and-a-half years. Before Newsday, Hack worked for four years at the Sacramento Bee, covering the San Francisco 49ers and serving as a general assignment reporter in sports.

Born in Los Angeles, Hack attended UCLA and graduated in 1993 with a bachelor’s degree in history. In 1996, Hack earned his master’s degree in journalism from UC Berkeley’s Graduate School of Journalism.

Hack currently lives in Brooklyn with his wife and two dogs.

-SI-

Draft saved Draft deleted