1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hack your way to learning instead of paying for it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain Obvious, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Listened to an interview on NPR's Morning Edition this morning with Dale Stephens, the founder of Uncollege.org, who says college is a waste of money. He was unschooled since he was 12, but unfortunately, I don't think he gets that his "success" isn't normal. I also think a guy whose career seems to be advising companies that college is inefficient hasn't done much innovation.

http://www.npr.org/2013/03/05/173416593/skipping-out-on-college-and-hacking-your-education

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: Hack your way to learning instead of paying for it.

Now we know YF's full name.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I heard that. I agree 100 percent that -- if you are so inclined -- you can educate yourself well without going to college.

Question is will anyone hire you without a college degree.

4. Re: Hack your way to learning instead of paying for it.

We keep reading on here that no editor cares about your degree, except they do when your a no-name trying to get a job.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would have no qualms hiring an experienced writer or editor who didn't have a degree.

I would not consider hiring an inexperienced writer or editor who didn't have a degree.

I guess the question is how do you get the experience?

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

See, the sad thing about a guy like you is in 50 years you're gonna staht doin some thinkin on your own and you're gonna come up with the fact that there are two certaintees in life. One, don't do that. And Two, you dropped a hundred and fifty grand on a fuckin education you coulda got for a dollah fifty in late chahges at the public library

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You can absolutely make your way without a college degree. But with the kind of imagination and ingenuity it takes, you might as well work within the system and do even better.

9. JeffRoper

JeffRoper Guest

I have no regrets in earning my B.A.

I have no regrets my past two years in graduate school.

It's the four years wasted in graduate school before I realized what I wanted out of the experience and switched concentrations I regret. By time that realization came along, I was married with children and responsibilities and could no longer dedicate 40 hours a week strictly to homework. I essentially spent two years drifting along in class and other year spinning my wheels playing catch-up to get to where I could basically start from scratch.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Has no regrets about going to community college.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: my wife is a class away from an associates and now makes twice what I made as a journalist with a bachelor's. It all depends on the course work and the profession. She is obviously a lot smarter than I was when picking.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

When did the photo-share feature around here start to suck balls?

Draft saved Draft deleted