1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Habla usted Inglés

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

President Gingrich will make them speak the language that he creates... :D

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

¿Es Pat Burrell un Pasillo de Famer?

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Gingrish?

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Interesting Constitutional/States' Rights battle here.

At the federal level there is no Official Language of the United States. But 27 states have passed laws making English their 'official' language.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Shouldn't states that were part of Mexico have special language rights?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Switzerland is going, WTF? :)

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Pennsylvania has a law that the only permissible use for the adjective "wicked" is in referring to a bad witch. ;)

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wish Massachusetts had the same law. :D

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That's fawkin pizzzer law

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Dios mio

11. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I did a stint in Yuma, AZ, and I had to work down in San Luis occasionally. Right or wrong (more than anything it's frustrating and makes the town feel very isolated from the rest of the area), this ain't uncommon. She probably speaks more proficient English than some of the school board members or police department folks I talked to. The city actually got in some trouble for more-or-less conducting council meetings in Spanish. I would say, in that particular community, there's a higher rate of Spanish fluency than English. That's changing (the high school they built in town a few years back seemed to be doing a lot right) but it still kind of is what it is.

I'd bet this is far more at issue than anything else. When I was there, there were two "factions" on the council that had an ongoing little war with each other for control of the city government. Such as it was. Somebody on the council was always in a constant state of recall because they weren't buddies with the current mayor (who was also likely to be recalled at any moment if the power balance tipped). I'm never so glad to be gone from Yuma as when I think about never, ever, ever having to set foot in San Luis again.

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Esperanto?

Draft saved Draft deleted