1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ha, ha! Border fence to "protect" America is made in China

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by andyouare?, Oct 22, 2007.

1. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Not trying to start a big discussion. I just thought this was funny. Next they'll tell us that the labor to actually construct the fence was done by illegal immigrants.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2007/10/china-steel.html

Fence to protect America turns out to be Made in China
    Here's a story that seems a little strange on the surface. The Congressional Steel Caucus, made up of members from steel-making districts, is charging that the new fence going up to protect the United States' southern border from illegal foreigners is being constructed with foreign-made steel.

Chinese steel, to be exact.

"It's outrageous, offensive and unacceptable," Pennsylvania Rep. Jason Altmire tells NBC's Mike Viqueira.

The Congress members say they were tipped off to the foreign-made steel by outraged American union workers and have confirmed with the Department of Homeland Security that specific Buy American provisions written into the law authorizing the fence were waived by the department.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I remember when this country had a steel industry.

Wasn't that long ago.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

It's probaby painted in lead paint and all them evil Mexicans will die quickly after chewing their way through into the land of milk and honey.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Actually, I believe that there was an issue where the original contractor for this was using illegals to build the fence.

I don't know how many watch the show, but Penn and Teller's Bullshit did an episode on this. It was rather funny. It also showed how useless a wall would actually be.

Draft saved Draft deleted