1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

H.S. Wrestling Coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Brookerton, Nov 12, 2006.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Thank goodness for the Kentucky Wrestling Coaches Association's website...When updated, that thing is a goldmine of information.

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Best post ever.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No, not best post ever.

Dissing a sport because a) you don't like it or b) you don't understand it doesn't serve a particularly great purpose on a thread where somebody just wants to find out the best way to go about his job.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

obviously he never read "lusting for amy."

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That was tinged with greatness. It passed just for style points. ;)

Plus, that guy who started the thread just was looking to bitch in the first place. This guy's looking for help.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Two tips:

1) If there are any girls who wrestle on the boys teams in your area, they're always good for a feature

2) When interviewing the wrestler after the match, especially if he won by pin (fall), ask him what move he used. That way in your story you can say he performed a ball-and-chancery or a cradle or whatever the name of the move was, without using that quote, and sound like you know what you're talking about.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good tip EStreet. I never knew what I was talking about when it came to moves, so I had the wrestler give it to me in detail.

I also found that wrestling seemed to have more assistant coaches in the know than other sports, and most were always willing to talk. My county's best wrestling school had a coach who was a horrible quote, but the assistant was gold.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

after you're done doing a feature on a female wrestler, be sure your next game story's lede references the weather .. about as unique.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I didn't realize that girls on the boys wrestling teams was that common.
    Let me rephrase the idea ... a feature on why more and more girls are participating in wrestling.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

There are a lot of girls turning up as placekickers across the country, too. That doesn't make the story any less interesting to that particular readership.

There's being unique, and then there's being unique to each other. The second doesn't matter so much.

11. Sly

Sly Active Member

I wasn't dissing the sport. I was looking for a real answer! How come so many wrestlers cry like babies after the meet? Low blood sugar?

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

If you have to cover wrestling often, ask the coach if you can come to some practices and learn what some of the moves are.

Also would give you some insight to what the guys are going through. Be prepared to sweat your ass off just watching, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted