1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

H.S. Sports Writer Needed

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by ctg, Jan 2, 2009.

1. ctg

ctg New Member

The Cross Timbers Gazette, a monthly newspaper serving southern Denton County, TX, is looking for a Sportswriter. The position’s main focus will be writing monthy summaries on the four High Schools in our circulation area as well as features on local athletes. Four-year degree in journalism desired. Professional experience and photography skills preferred. Compensation will be on a per-story basis.

Please send cover letter, resume, and examples of your work to:

Miller Media Holdings LLC
    2650 FM 407, Suite 145-157
    Bartonville, TX 76226

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

A journalism degree desired for a monthly newspaper?

What is a monthly newspaper? I've never heard of one of those, to be honest.

Do you only do features? Or do you write gamers 30 days after the event happened?

3. KUjhawk02

KUjhawk02 Member

This sounds more like a community magazine than a newspaper. I've never heard of a monthly paper either, well ... other than the high school's publication.

4. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

Sounds like this thread is destined for the freelance/stringer board ...

No offense, ctg, but seeking a degree and professional experience while just paying per story is ... well ... one part unconventional and two parts ridiculous.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

We have a monthly pub here that's supposed to be our 'competition,' at least by our ME's viewpoint.

Other than a shit-ton of pictures and ads, it's a piece of crap.

6. ctg

ctg New Member

Thanks for the feedback. We want someone knowledgeable about the local HS scene to give us the big picture each month and write features about local atheltes.

We are a 30-year old local newspaper that publishes monthly. You can read our publication online at http://www.lantanalinks.com/ctg/CTG.pdf

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Should be moved to the stringer board. This isn't a job.

8. highlander

highlander Member

What schools would your 30-year old local newspaper cover? Considering their haven't been schools there for a last 30 years and the Lantana area 30 years ago was probably woods.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And let me guess, it would be about $20 per article, right, ctg?

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

You should wipe your ass with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted