1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

H.S. Sports Editor: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Fenix031, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Fenix031

Fenix031 New Member

Company: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
    Position: HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS EDITOR
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: April 20, 2010
    Job ID: 1156735

Description:
    The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review seeks an editor to lead aggressive coverage of high school sports. A strong high school report is vital in our sports-obsessed area, which includes some of the country's best prep programs. The editor will oversee seven full-time writers and manage copy for five publications. Applicants must have strong word and organizational skills. A sense of competition is equally important in this two-newspaper city. Weekend and night shifts are required. Applicants must have supervisory experience and at least five years at a 50,000-plus circulation paper. The Trib, circulation 197,000 and growing, is based on the city's North Shore, between the Pirates' PNC Park and the Steelers' Heinz Field. Pittsburgh is a terrific news area and an affordable place to live. It was named the country's most livable city by The Economist magazine in 2009. Send resume and work samples to: Kevin Smith, Executive Sports Editor, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, 503 Martindale St., Pittsburgh, PA 15212. E-mail: ksmith@tribweb.com.

2. Fenix031

Fenix031 New Member

Seven full-time writers for high school sports. Pretty nice. Anyone know anything about this publication?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

One of my former staff members took a job there a while back. They also recently hired one of the displaced Wash. Times guys to be part of a three-person enterprise team.
    This is the type of gig that could cause a former SE in our midst to go "hmmmm" and send something to them. Other than the fact the Penguins play there, I love Pittsburgh.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I didn't think the circulation was anywhere close to 200,000.

Is it? Or is that number a combination of the main paper and the smaller dailies (Tarentum, Connellsville, etc) owned by the Trib?

Anyway, this is a nice gig. They do a great job covering prep sports.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Trey, I am sure that circulation counts the smaller dailies, which include content from the Pittsburgh office. Notice they are saying that this person will manage content for five locations, so most likely that seven-man staff includes reporters who work exclusively at the smaller dailies.

That said, they do put a high priority on prep sports and this could be an interesting gig depending on how they set it up.

I know a good bit about this place. I'd be happy to answer any questions by PM.

6. DCguy

DCguy Member

Echo outofplace. I'm familiar with these folks. PM me with any questions.

As a side note, the guy who left this job, Jerry DiPaola, is a class act and a great guy. He is supposedly going back to writing.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Make that two former Times guys.

8. JimRodenbush

JimRodenbush New Member

I worked for the Tribune-Review for nearly seven years, and can answer any questions about the place. Just PM me.

I agree with DCguy. Jerry is good people. I'm happy to see that he's moving back to writing.

9. outofplace

Agreed regarding Jerry. Anybody know what he's going to be writing for them?

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The only thing I'll say is that this place has been a bit of a revolving door in the last six months to a year.

11. outofplace

Really? I thought Jerry had been in this particular job since they moved him off the Steelers beat. That was considerably more than a year ago.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Zag is right. It's been that way on the news side as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted