1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guys we won't see in the 2011 NCAA Tourney -- AKA the dudes leaving school early

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Mar 22, 2010.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

We can add another name, along with Herb Pope, to the list of the delusional - Manny Harris from Michigan is leaving for the NBDL NBA draft

2. rube

rube Active Member

While I don't question that he'll be able to find five more studs, I highly doubt he'll have a John Wall walking through the door every year.
    They don't make guys like that every day.
    Cousins either for that matter.

This is the obvious risk you run going the rent-a-player route.
    And it's yet to work for Calipari.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

He won't sniff an NBA roster. Can't shoot. Too skinny. Mediocre penetration skills. He will be lucky to be drafted. Which is sad, because after last year's tournament run, he was projected as a first rounder by some. But if you can't even get your team in the CBI, how are you going to help an NBA team.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

What do you mean it hasn't worked yet? He is the first coach to win 30 games for five years in a row, he's been to the final four - and was a missed free throw from winning it all -- and the Elite Eight two other times and he's won countless league and tournament titles.

So yeah, he hasn't won his national title yet, but he's had more success than about 99 percent of the coaches out there over the past six or seven years or so.

To say it hasn't worked is silly.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Upside sometimes just equals soft and stupid.

6. rube

rube Active Member

Re: Guys we won't see in the 2011 NCAA Tourney -- AKA the dudes leaving school e

Well that's all I really meant – no national title.
    Obviously he's racked up some wins and has done quite the job of replacing guys with top tier talent.
    To be fair, however, both of those Final Four banners are currently hanging next to those Fab Five banners somewhere.

7. Cuse007

Cuse007 New Member

I would be surprised if Wes Johnson doesn't leave early.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Pope is either delusional, or he is sticking to his own personal rule against staying in any one place for more than a year at a time.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It'll be interesting to see if Gordon H*yward declares. NBADraft.net, FWIW, has him projected as the last pick of the first round in 2011. But his stock is flying upward.

Interesting that on his NBADraft.net profile, one of the knocks against Hayward is that he might not be serious enough about basketball. I guess that's what happens when you have a real major (engineering) and you could have made a run at a career in another sport (tennis).

10. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Same thing is happening to Myron Rolle in the NFL Draft. Team execs don't want a guy who has interests outside the game.

Probably harms him that he is smarter than almost everyone in the NFL also.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ask Jamal Crawford...

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I was young when he came through but I remember him being much better.

Draft saved Draft deleted