1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Guys like that.."

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Highway 101, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

I saw "Flags of Our Fathers," on Friday.

The best part of my movie experience Friday came as I was walking out after the final credits rolled. A grandfather walked out in front, the grandson in the middle, and father in back. The father said, "It's guys like that who have given us what we have as Americans."

It reminded me of the time that my parents took me and my best friend to see "Schindler's List," when we were in high school.

(All, I'm sorry for being too lazy to find the movies thread.)

I read the book about a month ago, and unlike most books-turned-movies, Clint incorporated all of the major aspects AND all of the details in a fashion I've never seen before.

Like most of the other Eastwood movies since Unforgiven, there will be Oscar buzz, and it's definitely worthy. I don't think a single actor will win because they were all supporters to each other. However, Adam Beach, who plays the Pima Indian Ira Hayes, deserves a nomination. (Beach was awesome in Smoke Signals)

It's a very moving picture. And be sure to stay until ALL the credits have rolled.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It has one of my favorite 30something actors, Barry Pepper.

"What I mean, sir, is if you was to put me with this here sniper rifle anywhere up to and including one mile from Adolf Hitler... with a clean line of sight... well, pack your bags, boys. War's over."

"up to and including"... classic.

3. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Is that from Band of Brothers?

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Saving Private Ryan, I think.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

My wife and I saw Flags last night. The movie was great, my only complaint being the faded colors they use now for a lot of war movies. I've never been in battle (and welcome input from anyone who has) but I suspect things are pretty vivid. The parts about how those who were closest to the action wanted to talk about it the least were particularly interesting.

This wouldn't be a movie that would normally draw Mrs. OTD, however yesterday was the birthday of her father, who died last year. Ray was a petty officer on a destroyer in the Pacific during the war, so she thought seeing this would be a way to honor his memory.

Here's one for you, Ray.

6. Adam Beach is a talent. He was solid in "Windtalkers," and in the Tony Hillerman mysteries on PBS. I hear that this one may be the statue grab.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Saw it last night. I'd give it 3 stars out of 5. Good movie, should get some Oscar buzz and yeah, Adam Beach was solid.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

He was about the only good thing in Windtalkers. Haven't seen FOOF yet, but I suspect I'll have the same sort of reaction as I did with Ryan. Came out after seeing it, wanted to shake the hand of any man of military age during WW2. The kind of movies that make you re-evaluate your manhood.

9. joe

joe Active Member

I don't know if I'll see it just because I don't see too many movies out. But my grandpa was in Europe in WWII, and he never talks about it, at least never to my mom and my aunts. But about 10 years ago, when I was at his house during Christmas, he told me some of what he had seen and done as a medic in the war. Christ. I need to sit down with him and record that stuff for my family -- and for myself. I never did that with my other grandpa who built much of the mid-Missouri railroad, or my grandma who died this year at 90. Those stories, no matter what they are, need to be part of our oral and physical history.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Did that about four years ago with my late grandfather who fought at Guadalcanal (he was in the 1st Marine Raider Battalion.) Got three tapes' worth of his stories, front and back. Spent nearly a month transcribing 'em all.

One of the smartest decisions I've ever made (and one of my most regretted, if I hadn't.) Those stories might not be worth anything to anyone but my family, but by god, they're worth everything to us.

11. joe

joe Active Member

Buck, that was the first time my family can remember him talking about WWII at all. And that was 50 years after it was over. I think he would tell me because I'm his first grandchild (and a grandson after having four girls), but, man. I hope I don't drop the ball on this one.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, my grandpa could hold an audience like no one else. If there were any stories that he refused to tell ... well, he refused to tell them. But there were a helluva lot more stories that made up for whatever he kept to himself, if anything. I never tired of hearing them all. And he liked to tell 'em.

Hope you get your chance, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted