1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guy would rather play in Greece than the NBA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jul 23, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Says salary caps don't work. No team was able to offer Childress as much as the Greek team because of the salary cap.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There is one country where they would pay the taxes or did something strange that made them foreign players exempt from paying as much taxes as the others. It was explained to me once, but I'd be lying if I said I was paying close attention...

It might have been Turkey or Israel.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The Hawks could have. The Hawks could have also done a sign and trade.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

But they do still have to sign their other star, JC.

Hey look folks, the Hawks are getting better. They took the Celtics to 7, yes?

They drafted Childress supposedly in part because he was a "good citizen."

Well he's now a good citizen of Greece. Exactly the way it's not supposed to work.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Even if he is "good citizen" he is a role player who turned down $33 million. How is that an indicator of a bad system?

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

There is no being homesick if you are making a lot of money, doing what you live and living in one of the coolest countries in the world. Also, in Greece you can a bottle of Heineken for $1 u.s. virtually anywhere.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Never said it was a bad system.

Only one other team was even able to bid more than the midlevel exception on Childress. The market was restricted by the salary cap.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Which is a good thing. Prevents teams from paying absurd salaries to non-starters. $33 million for 5 years for a guy who didn't start a game last year is a pretty good market.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The Hawks made their choice, if they wanted to keep him they could have. They chose to not overpay him.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My sister played basketball in Europe.
    She got a car, an apartment, meals and groceries paid for.
    Her deal included some appearances as well, in addition to playing.
    Her pay was tax-free and she had her airfare covered for a return trip, or she could have flown people over. She always chose to come back.
    If she had been married, they would have paid for her husband to come over and they also would have found him a gig.
    Playing in Europe is like the best deal ever and that was for a chick.
    The guys get treated better, so I don't blame the guy for staying in Greece.

11. dargan

dargan Active Member

It also says that the Euro is battering the dollar right now.

I have a friend who plays for an Italian league team. He makes a few hundred thousand a year, pays no taxes, pays nothing for housing, pays nothing for a car. Lives in Italy. Goes to Rome, Venice, etc. etc. all the time.

Sounds pretty good, especially for a guy who was born and raised in North Philly.

Now imagine getting paid about $7 million a year, plus all those perks? Sounds even better to me.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

do they need any editors in greece?

Draft saved Draft deleted