1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guy would rather play in Greece than the NBA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/hawks/stories/2008/07/23/childress_hawks_greece.html

What does this say about the NBA?

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That someone in Greece was willing to pay more money.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

More money, more playing time, all the Ouzo he can drink, proximity to the Greek Isles...

If players can get over being homesick, playing in Europe is a tremendous option. They usually pay for their housing, get them cars, you name it... They have virtually no expenses if they play over there...

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/58927/

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The season is somewhat less rigorous in terms of games per season, as well. Two dozen or so games in Euroleague (which is like soccer's Champions League), something like 30 in the Greek League's regular season, no more than 13 in the Greek playoffs and a handful in Greek Cup.

6. Mizzougrad96

I covered a player who played a couple seasons in Europe who is in the NBA now and he told me stories about how the team flew his family over from the US a couple times a year and treated him like a king.

This was a guy who wasn't even taken in the draft and they were paying him $400K a year, they got him an apartment, a car, a full-time translator, flew him wherever he wanted to go, brought his family over when he wanted, you name it...

It doesn't sound like a bad life...

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Maybe the officiating in Greece is more on the up-and-up.

8. Mizzougrad96

I think the officiating in the WWE is more on the up-and-up. :D

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Says more about the buffoons and clowns who own the Hawks than it does about the NBA.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

At one point, the team also paid the agent fees, too. Not sure if that's still the case.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Whoops - my bad! D_B

12. Plus Greece is also home to the Blowjob Olympics (*see cross thread).

Can you blame him?

Draft saved Draft deleted