1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guy Morriss, TAMU-Commerce coach, applauds team's theft of newspapers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SixToe, Mar 2, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

They were on the field, fireworks were going off as soon as the clock expired, etc. If you're at field level, you can't see that other end zone with everyone in the way. I wasn't certain he scored until I looked at the LSU fans corner in the stands.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One thing that always impressed me about that Hail Mary was the two plays before it. On the kickoff, the returnman got as much as he could get and went out of bounds. Didn't waste time trying to break a 100-yard return. On the next play, they threw the pass over the middle, the receiver was wide open and immediately went down and called timeout. He didn't screw around trying to pick up an extra five yards as the clock ticked to zero.
    The Hail Mary was lucky, no doubt. But the set-up was some well-executed football with great situational awareness. You don't see that very often.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Guy Morriss is a hayseed. Easily one of the most unintelligent coaches I have ever interviewed. This doesn't surprise me because he's clueless about anything in life that isn't an X or an O.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Next TAMU team-building exercises: book burning, followed by beating up everyone in the nerd fraternity and taking over their house.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The president has Morriss' back.

Here's his statement:

GAGGGG!

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Appropriate disciplinary measures" and punishment don't mean shit when the coach is willing to tell the authorities, of all people, that he's proud of what happened.

You can just imagine what he told the players in private.

You are "personally embarrassed," Dr. Jones? Well, you should be. You are epic fail if you expect anyone to believe the bullshit you just foisted on the media of which you claim to be a "scholar."

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The next time a TAMU football player gets a dui or slaps his chick around, it's comforting to know that "faculty members and counselors [will] provide support, education, and guidance for student-athletes so that they may be better equipped not just as members of the university community, but as members of society, to make good decisions that contribute to positive change."

Yeah. ... it's a "positive change" to say I won't belt my girlfriend in the mouth.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"faculty members and counselors [will] provide support, education, and guidance for student-athletes so that they may be better equipped not just as members of the university community, but as members of society, to make good decisions that contribute to positive change."

my ass .. they could give a shit and F-tard coach won't do a thing.. it will be like the assistant coach in The Replacements admonishing the team not to shoot a gun in the parking lot again.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

If Guy Morriss got to tbe bottom of who stole the papers why doesn't he tell the police so they can re-open their investigation? Why don't the police ask Mr. Morriss what he knows? Isn't that the right thing to do?

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Commerce in the news for the wrong reasons again. Gunman gets in a shootout at a Walmart.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/crime/stories/DN-commerceshooting_08met.ART0.State.Edition1.4b8b782.html

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

but it wasn't a team-building exercize

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I did a story once on Guy when he was an assistant under JSherrill at MSU.
    He was a good assistant, too. Players loved him.
    But he left, and has certainly had problems as a head coach.

Carry on.

Draft saved Draft deleted