1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guy Morriss, TAMU-Commerce coach, applauds team's theft of newspapers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SixToe, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Crash

Crash Active Member

An incident like this happened at my old college rag (not involving athletes) a while back. The paper threatened to press charges, since even though the paper was free, it had a disclaimer on the bottom that said, "1st copy free, subsequent copies $.50" or something like that. Of course, they didn't charge you if you took 10 copies, but the sole purpose of the disclaimer was to prove that the paper had monetary value in cases like this.

EDIT: It says at the bottom of the article that the East Texan includes a disclaimer similar to the one I described.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Is Guy Morriss going to encourage his players to steal the Internet, too?

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They don't have the internet in east Texas.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Remember that play but didn't know if was him. That was cool.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Smoaky just had a coronary.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Greatest moment in kentucky football history:

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I laughed at the fans that day (I was on the sidelines, waiting to do a sidebar, and watched them all run out and start jumping on the crossbars at the end of the field I was on, opposite the touchdown) but felt really bad for the players. Some of them were just lying face down on the field, unable to move. To go from that high to that low would just suck.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Saban talks about that game sometimes; admits it was a fluke and says the worst thing that can happen sometimes is to play poorly and win. He notes LSU got their asses kicked 31-0 by Alabama at home the next week.

I remember being in a press box watching that game with a huge UK fan and friend, patting him on the back, shaking his hand and congratulating him on the win, and then... oh shit, sorry dude.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm amazed Saban could take a break from kicking puppies long enough to make those comments.
    I doubt that the 31-0 loss to Alabama was all about a letdown after the Bluegrass Miracle. That 2002 LSU team was wildly uneven after Matt Mauck broke his foot against Florida. Mainly because of the other quarterback, Marcus Randall, who was like the prototype for Jamarcus Russell. I'm not entirely unconvinced they aren't the same person. When Randall was good, he was great. When he sucked, he made Russell look like Joe Montana.

10. times38

times38 Member

the look on that kid right behind Randall's face when he realizes they've scored a touchdown, coupled with Saban being pissed off in the postgame interview even though they won, are two of my favorite college football things ever.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was at a sports bar and say that game and remember saying to the folks at the table, "Oh, they are not dumping Gatorade on the coach before the games is over, are they? That's gonna backfire."

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

"Fans not realizing LSU had scored...."

How stupid are those fans?

Draft saved Draft deleted