1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guy Morriss, TAMU-Commerce coach, applauds team's theft of newspapers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SixToe, Mar 2, 2010.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

What a fucking douchenozzle POS:

http://www.thebatt.com/news/texas-a-m-commerce-coach-admits-to-removal-1.1216729

Texas A&M University-Commerce football Head Coach Guy Morris admitted to police that his team was responsible for the removal of student newspapers distributed on campus Wednesday.

The East Texan published a story on Wednesday titled “Football Player Arrested in Drug Bust.”

“I am proud of my players for doing that,” Morris said. “This was the best team building exercise we have ever done.”

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If TAMU-Commerce officials have any guts, they'll fire Morris' ass for this little stunt.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What a bullying asshole. If there's a local paper that covers the team, did he run around and steal all the copies of it that he could find, too? Like having drug dealers on your team wouldn't get out somewhere, even if it is low-level college ball?
    If you're the editor of that paper, do you run the story again in the next edition? It's a weekly, so it'll be "old news" by then, but it would prove a point.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If they do run it again, I hope they spell Morriss right this time.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The advisors of the East Texan should press criminal charges against the players and conspiracy charges against Morriss.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I had no idea Morriss even had a job again.

7. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Jesus...

Kentucky -----> Baylor -----> TAMU Commerce ?

You'd think he'd have enough money in the bank to not have to take such a rinky dink job. I've been to Commerce several times. Not the place I'd pick to revive my career.

Didn't he try to hold up Kentucky for a big raise after one 7-5 season? They refused, he darted for Baylor, and he fell flat on his face.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Gotta love the defense put forward by the AD:

According to Bone’s police report, Athletic Director Carlton Cooper said the football team could not have stolen the papers without the aid of outside help.

“I don’t think they are smart enough to do this on their own,” he said.
    Bone said he showed the stolen paper to Morris, who said he “didn’t read that crap.”

Way to go, Guy. How many more people will know Guy's guy got arrested only because of this incident? Sometimes I think the average IQ of a college football coach must be in the Forrest Gump range.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I went from never having even heard of the school, to knowing Guy Morriss recruits players who get arrested.

But you win, Guy!

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Jesus. I loved this guy when he was at UK. This is more than slightly shocking to me.

11. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Remember when he got a Gatorade bath against LSU and then watched LSU win on a miracle final play? That was cool.

12. Crash

Crash Active Member

Yeah, if I remember correctly, he asked for an extension north of $1 million after two seasons in which UK went 2-9 and 7-5 (and that 7-5 team, theoretically, could have won 9 games). He thought that with probation looming, UK would fear a coaching search and would bow down to him. UK told him to go ahead and go to Baylor then hired Rich Brooks. As they say, the rest is history.

Morriss got incredibly lucky with that UK team, which had an NFL-caliber running back (who blew his knee at the combine and never recovered), a solid QB and a veteran offensive line. That team should have been even better than it was.

Draft saved Draft deleted