1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guy jumps to his death from Ben Hill Griffin Stadium

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Guy's name is on some sites out there but I don't see any reason for that. I've never heard of anyone offing themselves at a college stadium before. Kinda surprised it doesn't happen more, especially in season. Anyway, here's the link.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20120415/ARTICLES/120419720/1109/sports?Title=Police-investigate-death-outside-stadium

2. Between Dwayne Schintzius passing away earlier today and this news tonight, kind of a weird feeling in Gainesville right now. I walked around town for a few minutes this evening and it just feels different right now. I know a handful of people that knew this guy, so it hits kind of close to home.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That explains it.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You mean Tebow hasn't raised him from the dead yet?

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Holy shit! Really?

Edit: Dead at 43 from respiratory failure. Had no idea he was battling leukemia

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7817857/dwayne-schintzius-dead-age-43

I'll let others decide if that's worthy of an RIP thread.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Dwayne Schintzius died? God must have needed a doubles partner.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Holy shit. Shit. My wife is an adjunct journalism professor at UF and taught this kid last semester. Said he was bipolar.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Let's all have a laugh about a kid who just committed suicide!

This is low and classless even by your subterranean standards.

9. There's a lot to the story it seems. Whoever made the remark about journalism wasn't all that far off, apparently. Troubling after looking into it, to say the least. The last comment on the guy's Facebook was something to the effect of "don't be so hard on yourself." He had gotten a DUI about a day before.

Also, where the guy fell from was within about 30 yards of where all kinds of campus groups gather to do drills, dances and all kinds of other activities. Apparently there was a group there when it happened. I can imagine that would be a pretty rattling experience for all of them.

As far as Schintzius goes, he had been battling it for a couple years. He returned to the O'Connell Center for the first time since playing in 2011 for the Georgia game. The fans gave him a really, really nice standing ovation when they introduced him over the PA. He may have been back once or twice since then, but I distinctly remember when they announced him.

Here's more from that night on him: Dwayne Schintzius returns to the O'Dome

10. Out of curiosity, what division does she teach? Journalism, broadcast, advertising or PR? Totally understand if you're not comfortable answering. Decent chance she taught me. PM me if you want.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Check your PM, Thomas.

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

The stadium is almost always open, so I'm surprised more incidents don't occur. The student was 26, so he was still trying to figure out his life at a later age than many.

Draft saved Draft deleted