1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guy gives homeless man "winning" lottery ticket

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 10, 2014.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not even sure how to describe this. ...

This Internet "prankster" gives a homeless guy a lottery ticket. It isn't a winner, but he has a store owner in on it, and when they go to cash it, the store owner gives him $1,000.

What follows, if it is all for real, is pretty heart warming. Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lki_IeM6bQ

Afterward, he sets up a Fundly account to raise money for the homeless guy and so far more than $33,000 has been pledged.

https://fundly.com/eric-s-fundraising

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I assumed the worst when I saw the thread title, and then read that it was an Internet "prankster."

This story is damn good.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The homeless guy shouldn't be dependent on the prankster and store owner.

If he doesn't want to be homeless anymore, he should just get a job and buy a house.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The man in the video isn't a prankster in a bad way, he's more of a practical joker. Not out to hurt people. Video doesn't make it clear if he gave the store owner the money or if the store owner acted on his own.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He gave the store own the money. I googled afterward for info because I wanted to figure out if it was for real.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The guy's reaction is heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. True gratitude.

I do hope they go beyond handing the guy whatever funds are raised and help him address whatever problems led to his homelessness. Whether that means getting him into counseling or a job training program or whatever, going beyond the money is important. Handing him a check will help him for a short time, but if he doesn't have the right tools, he could likely end up back in the same position.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

They should stop trying to nanny the homeless people and pick winners and losers.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Did they make him do any bum fights to earn his cash?

Draft saved Draft deleted