1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guy blows a .491 -- and lives

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jul 22, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

so now we know what Songbird was doing on his sabbatical.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So perhaps Nicolas Cage's character in "Leaving Las Vegas" was batting .400 the entire time?

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I just woke up with a wicked headache and can't really remember anything after me and my friends went out the other night. I think I got arrested ... can anyone help me?

(you see, it's funny because I'm from R.I. It's not funny because it happened about a mile from my house and I think I was driving home from work about an hour later).

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Only RI's finest, son!

[​IMG]

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But then he married some girl from Jersey, moved to D.C. and quit drinking as much, right?

;D

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I was wondering what the baseline is for an alcoholic. I remember being told in a college class or somewhere that there is a possibility that a person who drinks a lot might start the day, even if they had no booze the night before, at like a .05. I have never used a breathalyzer, does hard liquor making you blow higher numbers faster than beer?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You burn off roughly a drink an hour, so you'd have to have had 26 drinks or so the first day to go 24 hours without a drink and still come up positive.

And liquor, beer or wine, the breathalyzer ostensibly measures BAC. It doesn't matter. What does matter is how much spit you blow into the thing.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Damn that's a lot of booze, I believe my record is way below that. But no one likes a counter.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Story says she drank a 20-ounce Gatorade bottle filled with vodka. Assuming that at 15 she can't have built up the tolerance of a hard-core alcoholic, I just can't imagine how her body didn't eject it all at some point. I consider myself a pretty accomplished drinker, but halfway through that I'd have turned inside out.

Draft saved Draft deleted