1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gus Johnson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pride of pleasantville, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

If you want a drink, you'll have to pay for it.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Then give me a Pepsi Free ...

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Do we really need two Gus Johnson threads?

4. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Personally, I can never have enough Gus Johnson.

The best play-by-play announcers are the ones who seem to actually enjoy their jobs. Guys like Johnson, Musberger can be over the top, predictable, etc. But I'll take them any day over the Joe Bucks or Mike Tiricos of the world.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Thank you.
    Thank you.

I see Buck and Tirico as play-by-play guys who want to appear "above the action" or the few times they get riled up, it comes across as fake and contrived (Buck on the Moss' fake "mooning" in Green Bay)

It's also why the talk shows Buck and Tirico have hosted are painful to watch or listen to, unless Artie Lange is on. Both are Men of No Opinions.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'd like to gus and raferty call a game together. That would be pure pleasure.
    onions, ha haaa

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I ain't giving you a Pepsi for free.

8. apeman33

In seriousness, he might. But what happened last night was that he became one of the top trending topics ON Twitter for a few hours.

9. apeman33

Start here:

Then read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Collins_%28reporter%29

And remember this: If you go into broadcasting, look over your material before you go on the air (although in this case, the kid was stuck reading material written for someone else).

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That was the prevailing sentiment in the office last night...

11. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

They ended up doing some games together. There's YouTube proof of that, but I think that was because of an illness or something elsewhere within the tournament.

Then again, it may have been a Big 10 game or something else.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I don't think it would work. They'd be trying to talk over each other. It would be loud. That's why Elmore is perfect with Gus. He brings a calmness to the broadcast. Lets everyone, including Gus, catch their breath after Gus' yelling. It's the right mix. If you had Raf with Gus, it would become jumbled and convoluted.

Draft saved Draft deleted