1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gus Johnson Gets the NY Times Treatment

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

The Cult Of Gus Johnson Will Reach Critical Mass During This NCAA Tournament

The New York Times published an interesting profile piece on Gus Johnson, and we learn some new things about the world’s most excitable broadcaster.

For one, bullies used to pick on him. They would try to steal his clothes and shoes, and when he would run home to avoid them, his dad would make him turn right around and confront them. Also: Gus Sr. also had a gold tooth. I’m not sure what that has to do with anything, but it’s a cool nugget of information.

In addition to personal stuff, the piece does a nice job of contextualizing Johnson’s popularity. He is the subject of countless YouTube tributes and internet soundboards, the Sports Guy is a fan, he’s the voice of Madden, and his voice is one of the few “that can drive an audience,” according to Mike McCarthy, chief executive of the St. Louis Blues (and someone who has previously hired Johnson).

But Gus’ popularity may not have yet reached its fever pitch. He has not fully “peacocked” yet, according to at least one of his friends, meaning he hasn’t fully harnessed all of that excitement. And he hasn’t yet quite crossed over into the mainstream: he gets shoutouts from SportsCenter’s anchors, the aforementioned Sports Guy love, and all of the YouTube views enthusiasm can buy. But he’s still talked about like he’s a “walking juke box,” and as the piece notes, he’s not viewed as CBS’ best college hoops broadcaster: that would be Jim Nantz.

He may not surpass Nantz this month in name recognition (or TV sales), but the adoration for Johnson will only grow. That’s the biggest perk in being a “sound bite” guy in the digital age: you’re way more shareable than a Jim Nantz. And he will almost certainly cross over into the mainstream consciousness at some point this month, if he hasn’t already. http://www.sportsgrid.com/media/the-cult-of-gus-johnson-will-reach-critical-mass-during-this-ncaa-tournament/#

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My dog is more shareable than Jim Nantz, as long as the target audience isn't Westchester County

3. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

I've said this before on other boards about Gus, but I am a fan because he reacts the same way that my dad and I would or my friends and I would when watching one of those crazy games. I hate announcers who just present the game with no excitement or with some stoic expressions. But that is just my personal preference.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Ever hated something so much that you eventually grew to like it? Yeah, that's me with Gus. Yes, "HA HAAAAA" occasionally annoys me, but the guy's a pretty solid broadcaster and March Madness simply wouldn't be the same without his Steve Erkelesque ass.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

And he also inspired your line about the moon landing which is still the greatest thing anyone has ever posted here and gets its rightful spot in my sig every March. :D :D

6. BitterYoungMatador2

Sheeeeeit, I totally forgot that. That was 2007, I believe, when he was driving me in-fuckin-sane during that Xavier-Ohio State game.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

It was so fucking funny I actually saved it in a file. It has survived multiple laptops. You should be proud!

8. BitterYoungMatador2

I'll be sure to put it on my new CD, "The Very Best of BYM2."

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm not buying that. You just added a couple Wlat remixes on to your usual collection of greatest hits. Cash grab!!!

10. Quakes

Quakes Guest

Speaking of the moon landing (if you haven't read the article in the Times):

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/sports/ncaabasketball/15gus.html

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I could never call a game like Johnson does, but do I ever admire his passion. I could see that drawing the casual or pseudo-fan, because that kind of energy creates interest.

12. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Jim Nantz sucks balls

Draft saved Draft deleted