1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guns, the NRA, the constitution and senseless shootings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Apr 16, 2007.

1. jboy

jboy Guest

I'd love to see the statistics for people who have successfully defended themselves with a gun versus people accidentally shot, the gun stolen, or the gun used for other reasons besides protection.

2. jboy

jboy Guest

And for people that say gun laws have no effect, this is from abcnews.go.com:

High capacity ammo clips became widely available for sale when Congress failed to renew a law that banned assault weapons.

Web sites now advertise overnight UPS delivery of the clips, which carry up to 40 rounds for both semi-automatic rifles, including 9mm pistols, and handguns.

"High capacity magazines read extreme firepower and gusto. Stock Up!" is the headline of one of many gun shop Web sites.

Virginia law enforcement officials have not identified the weapon used in the shootings today at Virginia Tech, but gun experts say the number of shots fired indicate, at the very least, that the gunman had large quantities of ammunition.

"When you have a weapon that can shoot off 20, 30 rounds very quickly, you're going to have a lot more injuries," said Peter Hamm of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Doc, Platy.. thanks. No, I'm just a very curious person, and guns are something I know nothing about.

It's no secret I'm liberal... But I'm trying to understand the other side before I can make up my mind about this... and I don't feel like I can understand the gun owners' point of view until I know the basics about guns themselves.

--------------

Would a 9mm gun like the one the guy reportedly had be classified as an "assault weapon"?

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No. It's a common handgun.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You're right. It's better to just let him shoot you dead. Silly me.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why even bring this into today's stories? We don't know the murderer had high-capacity magazines. The Brady spokesman should STFU until more is known.

7. No. Waiting period.

Stick to what you know.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Well, according to your genius scenario, what do you think would happen?

The burglar breaks into your house. He knows you are there. Yet, somehow, you are going to get the jump on him! Did you suddenly become Superman?

Common sense states that you can't even use the gun to defend yourself since the burglar will already be pointing one at you before you are able to get your own. Well, you could always sleep with it under your pillow. I'm sure the wife would love the feel of that cold steel and not worry at all about it accidentally discharging.

9. Armchair_QB

It's funny to see guys like Pastor, who have screamed bloody murder about the supposed erosion of our civil rights the last few years, so in favor of doing the exact thing they've been raising hell about.

You don't like guns? Great. Don't own one. I don't have one but I'm not going to tell somebody who has one legally that they have to get rid of it.

10. Armchair_QB

So your imaginary burglar has a layout of the house?

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That you're an obnoxious prick? OK.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Luggie, the term "assault rifle" is nebulous and ill-defined in the gun control debate.

Many of the things that make an assault rifle and an assault rifle are comestic.

Witness the Ruger 10/22, a .22 caliber rifle perfect for squirrel or rabbit hunting...

[​IMG]

Nobody would confuse it for an "assault rifle." However, with a couple of cosmetic changes to the stock (such as adding a pistol-style grip) and by adding an extended magazine, it would be classified as an "assault rifle" by some people.

Draft saved Draft deleted