1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guns, the NRA, the constitution and senseless shootings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think you're right. Culture does play a role. But I think the culture that refuses to demand personal responsibility for your actions is a bigger part of the problem.

2. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

My bad, JD. I saw you posted that quote in response to my posting, and I assumed it was your opinion and thus assumed you disagreed with me. Like I said I'm a Republican and fully believe in the Second Amendment and the rights it affords. We should have more gun laws and we should ban many types of guns (nobody goes hunting with a AK-47). But it drives me nuts when people say the only reason why this happened is because guns are legal. There's more than one way to kill a person. A deranged person is going to find another way if he can't get his hands on a gun.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Local NRA fella stopped by the office yesterday with photos from the N.H. banquet ... 10-year-old boy smiling proudly with his shotgun is one of the photos.

4. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

I shot my first duck when I was nine.
    With a shotgun. They're the only legal firearm for migratory game birds.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

A deranged person without a gun doesn't do this either.

I used to be fine and dandy with the live and let live theory on ownership, but I've begun changing my mind.

Guns serve one purpose: Kill.

You can't use a gun to clean your clothes. You can't use it to cook dinner. You can't use it to clean your floors. It won't shop for you. You can't connect it to your computer for faster internet use. It doesn't enable flowers to grow faster. It won't make an argument with your girlfriend end amicably. It won't tuck your kids in at night.

Nope, it just destroys. It takes lives.

6. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

I wouldn't count on it :-\

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The guy had a picture of the raffle winner holding a handgun that makes Dirty Harry's 44-mag look like a peagun.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My dad got his first gun when he was 8, also a shotgun so he could go hunting with his dad. Most people who start handling guns at that age wind up with a much better appreciation for the damage a gun can do than others.

In towns and states where hunting is common, most kids get guns early on.

9. boots

boots New Member

I beg to differ. There will be a backlash from this in the Old Dominion.

10. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

So, so true Sportschick.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It provides food too.

12. From the WH gaggle this afternoon:

"As far as policy, the president believes that there is a right for people to bear arms, but that all laws must be followed. And certainly, bringing a gun into a school dormitory and shooting numbers -- I don't want to say numbers, because I know that they're still trying to figure out how many people were wounded and possibly killed. But obviously, that would be against the law and something that someone should be held accountable for. "

Thank you, Dana Perino, you insensitive dolt, for making sure the base doesn't get restless. The rest is all banality.

Draft saved Draft deleted