1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guns N Roses

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Sly

Sly Active Member

Someday someone is going to make a kickass movie or documentary about GNR in the late '80s. It's possible that they were the last great megaband.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Just got back.

My ears are ringing fierce, and I'm a little emotional.

I sort of figured that seeing a performance like I saw tonight.... I figured those times had come and gone for me.

Sweet Child O Mine and Knockin on Heaven's Door and were beyond description.

The downer is that the arena down here blows re: acoustics (Axl, who was in a great mood, made a good-natured comment) and Rose's mic got balky for the final four songs or so.

Instrumentals of November Rain and Whiter Shade of Pale were noteworthy. The band is stout.

Axl said at one point: "We'll see if I survive Miami; I'm trying not to."

I cannot describe for you the high note he hit before the final chorus of KOHD. No description in words is adequate.

This was the first show... we'll see if Axl can make it.

But, as of tonight, his voice is in incredible shape.

Only songs I really get into that weren't played were Civil War and If I Can't Have You.

Now, if Axl would only do a studio cover of Bohemian Rhapsody before his range can't reach the outer space where he and Freddie reside(d).

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

GnR is OK, but I don't dig them now like I did in the late 80s, early 90s. Can't see myself paying to see them, especially if its just Axl. I was always a Slash/Izzy Stradlin guy myself.

And Axl still is world champion for most prententiously pathetic song to ever appear on record ... his "rap" Real World, stuck on the end of one of the Use Your Illusions (don't ask me which one, I used to know the difference but don't give a fuck anymore) without the consent of the rest of the band ...

You want to step into my world!
    It's a social psychotic state of bliss!
    You've been delayed in the real world
    How many times have you hit and missed?
    Your cat-scan shows disfiguration
    I wanna laugh myself to death
    With a misfired synapse
    with a bent configuration
    I'll hold the line while you gasp for breath
    You wanna talk to me?
    So talk to me
    You wanna talk to me? (7 times)
    (In dopey monster voice)
    You can't talk to me
    You don't understand your sex
    You ain't been mindfucked yet!
    Let's do it (3 times)
    Oh my distorted smile!

Until I Googled up the lyrics, I forgot all about the stupid "Oh my distorted smile" line. Was a catch-all trash-talking phrase in college as I recall.

Draft saved Draft deleted