1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guns N Roses

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Has anyone seen them on tour this year?

I have a chance to get great tickets to their show Wednesday.

2. Sly

Sly Active Member

The only way I'd go to this show if it were for free. And maybe not even then. It's just Axl and a bunch of rejects. Going to see GNR without Slash is a bit like going to see the Beach Boys with Mike Love and not Brian Wilson.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Chinese Democracy ... hitting record stores sometime in 2019.

4. Grohl

Grohl Guest

They're not Guns N' Roses. It's just Axl and his new band, which may play a lot of old Guns N' Roses songs. They may suck; they may be great. But they aren't Guns N' Roses. This is like David Lee Roth going on tour and calling it Van Halen.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i wouldn't exactly call tommy stinson a reject

6. rgd

rgd Guest

Doesn't Axl's voice sound like shit these days? I watched a clip of GNR in concert and it sounds awful.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I read a review that said his voice still sounds great.

I got the tickets.

I love Slash, but Axl is one of my top 5 greatest rock lead voices ever (with Freddie Mercury, Robert Plant, Eddie Vedder and Steve Perry), and he IS Guns N Roses.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Axl Rose is one of the great hard rock shouters and frontmen ever. But Slash made them a great band. He was the heart and soul of GNR.

9. Sly

Sly Active Member

But remember that there was originally a guy in the band who was named "Buckethead" and actually wore a Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket ON HIS HEAD. Not exactly the type of stuff that instills confidence in buying a $75 ticket.

And since when did everyone forget Axl's embarrassing performance at MTV's VMAs in 2002? If there was ever a sadder site than rock's baddest boy huffing and puffing while wearing a Raiders Jerry Rice jersey and talking to Jimmy Fallon, then I don't know about it.

(But don't get me wrong ... I love me some GNR ... their double-disc live set is a must-own.)

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Axl's complete lack of reliability and his psychotic nature should also be a pretty good deterrent to forking over a bunch of dough. After all, you never know. He might cancel the show once he realizes Dove is in the hotel bathroom and not his requested Dial.

How is the band even touring? Didn't Axl piss off Clear Channel something fierce during the last aborted tour by failing to show and inspiring a pair of mini-riots in Vancouver and Philly?

As an enticement to attend, fans should get full refunds if Axl shows up and the show actually goes off on schedule.

And you're right: That 2002 VMA appearance was uncomfortable to watch. Hey Axl nice dreads. Weren't you the poster boy for male pattern baldness in 1992? Dickhead.

11. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

What he said.

12. lono

lono Active Member

Axl's inner child should have been spanked senseless and/or put in timeout years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted