1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy to be released on Nov. 23 (update on Page 5)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Re: NME.com reports Guns N' Roses has finished Chinese Democracy

Glad they were good when you saw them. I saw them in early 1992, right before they imploded. Soundgarden, the opening act, blew them off the stage.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

At the Rose Bowl in 1992, they were better than Metallica. Not by a wide margin, but they were better. They were incredible.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Saw them on that same tour. And, yes, they were better than Metallica. And I loved Metallica.

During their prime, they were damn close to being the best there ever was.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Hai! I can chasez sqerl now plz?

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'll fucking kill you for saying that BYH.

(Yes, I just drank Dr Pepper all day)

6. Piotr Rasputin

And that was Metallica's "Houses of the Holy" type tour, where they were clearly conquering the world and they crushed every single night, playing two and a half to three hours at each show. Their arena shows supporting The Black Album were the best I have ever seen. But their show, while it works for arenas and amphitheatres, just doesn't play well in stadiums.

My only issue with GNR at the time was their questionable setlist choices. Before Use Your Illusion came out, they played a lot of different material from those records. But after it was released, they insisted on playing stuff like Double Talkin' Jive and Knockin' on Heaven's Door. And don't get me started on the Pink Floyd-esque bloat of their stage band, with the horn players just for that crappy cover of "Live and Let Die", turning into female backup singers for GNR songs that didn't have female backup in the first place.

Still, when they just played, with Slash and the rest of the band doing their thing. they sounded great.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

I think a GNR-Metallica bill circa today would suck. I'd rather see Def Leppard-Foreigner.

8. Piotr Rasputin

I don't know . . . Metallica still brings it. They largely ignore the Load albums, and completely ignore St. Anger.

But yeah, Guns would have to reunite to relly make it a great show. They were good in 2006, but that's not Guns 'n' Roses.

9. Re: NME.com reports Guns N' Roses has finished Chinese Democracy

Yup

10. pallister

pallister Guest

I don't understand why bands like Metallica record albums like St. Anger. If they don'y play it live, they obviously realize, like the rest of us, that it sucks. So why even record it in the first place? Ain't like they needed the cash.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Let's not get carried away, Pall.

12. lono

lono Active Member

I find stansolo.com's ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to his newsletter.

Draft saved Draft deleted