1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guns in schools can not be a good thing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rickys The Best, Aug 26, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Again, in this example, he was shot in the arm and shoulder. Ignoring any of the emotional response from being shot, wouldn't you think that might make it more difficult to aim and fire a gun?

Furthermore, it's not like shooting at the range. You can't just "put one between the eyes" of a moving target, particularly a moving target that's firing a gun at you. You can't simulate that on the range.

And, of course, you can't ignore the emotional response. That teacher's gotta worry about how badly he's hurt, whether he's dying, how to stop the bleeding, whether the kid's still shooting, etc., etc., etc. I'm guessing his first priority, despite your bluster, isn't to make an example out of the kid. I'm guessing his first priority is to make sure he gets home to see his own kids. And no matter what you say, pulling a gun on the kid doesn't increase the chances of that happening.

For that matter, even the kid knowing that the teacher might be carrying a gun might make him more likely to shoot to kill. (Of course, he might have been doing that anyway and just been a bad shot. But again, an armed teacher makes him less likely to stop shooting, doesn't it?)

And this example was in an empty hallway. What happens when it happens in a classroom full of kids? Which is the more likely scenario? The kid shooting (and ducking behind desks, and using students as shields) gets shot? Or a bullet ricochets off a desk and hits a kid in the side?

2. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Desk,

Taking the personal tragedy, and the likelihood that it would have been my father there instead of Baxter, if not for me playing a basketball game across town, one that Dad, aka Mr. U, drove half of the team to. As the FFA advisor, he stays late all the time, more than a history, chemistry or social studies teacher would. He has to. It could have been him.

So I'm torn on the basic question of this thread.

I don't have an answer.

Not now. Maybe never.

But I do know that I'm glad I have spoken with my Dad every single day since open-heart surgery on July 22nd — to fix a genetic defect in a valve — even though I've done it all by phone.

I flew back for the surgery and immediate recovery. He sent me to school to get a few things so he could work at home during his recuperation. A few of his students stopped me. "Tell Mr. U, that we miss him."

It's a blessing that he won't be missed by me forever, or by those students for too long.

Thanks,
    Hwy

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And how is any of that not stereotyping?

Draft saved Draft deleted