1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guns in schools can not be a good thing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rickys The Best, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

It would have been nice if North Salinas High School history teacher Mr. Baxter had been carrying back in the fall of my freshman year.

Baxter approached a teenager in the halls of NSHS about an hour after school and asked the kid what he was still doing around.

The kid fired. Baxter walked to the office, with bullets in his arm and shoulder, to get help. Later, when asked why he shot at Baxter, the kid said he didn't want to get caught with a gun at school.

I'd give Baxter a gun. I'd give my Dad a gun to deal with the same sorts of punks at the same HS.

But I sure as shit wouldn't give one to anybody mentioned in a post by Poindexter.

2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Though there aren't kids running around with guns at the schools in the district where I live, the district itself falls short of state (and my own) standards. Because of that, I open enroll my kid into another district.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So it would have been better if both of them had been shot, instead of just the teacher?

4. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

In this instance, and this one case only, because it's personal to me... Yes.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Ah yes. Because if it's someone you know, all bets are off. Sorry that that happened and all, but one isolated example, even if it is someone you know, doesn't prove the point. And the rules don't change when it's someone you know. Or at least they shouldn't.

Besides, ever think that if the teacher had pulled a gun, the kid, fearing for his life, might have kept firing? Or that the teacher might not have been a particularly good shot with bullet wounds in his arm and shoulder?

6. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Even worse.

That is a student-overpowering, class-held-hostage story waiting to happen.

Unbelievable.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Amazingly stupid idea.

Reason #1,529 to not move to Texas.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

On this point -- yes, in fact, I'd be willing to bet if teachers are armed, they are trained to use their weapon which means when he fired back, he wouldn't hit the kids arm, he'd put one right between his eyes.

And that -- an image of a dead classmate with a bullet between his eyes -- would likely be a very nice deterrent for any other punks who decide they want to try and pull a gun in school.

As for the larger point about a dangerous school and arming my kids? -- No, if I couldn't afford a better school I would (God I can't believe I am saying this because this is really something I would consider a last resort) Ho..Home....Home School them.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You have been watching too many movies, Zag.

You shoot for the chest first, two rounds actually.

You think you have trouble finding good teachers now? Tell them they have 30-40 guns in the school.

More people die jumping horses in equestrian each year probably than get killed in schools.

This is a stupid knee-jerk reaction.

And yes, teachers will misplace the gun.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

There's nothing like a couple of warning shots to really quiet down a homeroom class.

11. Upper Tupper

Upper Tupper Member

Well, like the NRA says, take away guns and only teachers will have guns.

12. jps

jps Active Member

I was always told to let loose three, actually, center mass.

as long as they are trained to carry, I'm fine with it. any state I've ever been in makes you work pretty hard to get a concealed carry permit, so anyone in the school armed should be equipped to handle it.

Draft saved Draft deleted