1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guns in schools can not be a good thing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rickys The Best, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Sorry if this is duplicative, but this truly blows my mind. I'm sure there's a far greater chance of a teacher losing their cool and shooting a kid than actually saving the classroom...

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gb14TxGFjaNfNsI_oNCTYWfrXXfgD92PRQP00

2. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Unbelievably stupid. You look at the number of students that have gone through high school, and take the number of kids shot at school. You have a greater chance of getting hit by lightning and winning the lottery on the same day.

Just to be sure, they should have a grenade launcher on hand just in case they're attacked by dragons.

3. jps

jps Active Member

I'm cool with it.

4. KG

KG Active Member

I'm more surprised by the fact that a school with only 110 students can afford a closed circuit monitoring system.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm sorry folks, but only in jerkwater Texas could anything thing this moronic happen.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

How long before poin is reporting on another female teacher having, ahem, relations, with a student held at gunpoint?

7. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

A couple years back, a local school district had a member of the local police force working, in uniform, in the schools. Parents liked the idea of the officer in the school, but protested him having a gun on his person. The police chief would not support a measure to have the officer work, but without a gun. His stance was that officers were properly trained, and the gun was officially distributed as part of the uniform.

After much back and forth, the program was cut.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Cops in schools with guns is not unreasonable -- if you aceept having the cops there in the first place.

Teachers in classrooms with guns is a disaster waiting to happen.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Holy shit, how dumb do you have to be?

As spnited said, cops are one thing, but teachers? Cripes.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not only could I see a teacher flying off the handle, I could see some kid, who otherwise had no access to a gun, using the teacher's own weapon against him/her.

This is a bad idea bound to go horribly wrong.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Indeed, who's to say a troubled kid couldn't get his/her hands on the teacher's weapon somehow? Any gun in the classroom is a bad idea.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If a teacher keeps the gun in an unlocked desk drawer, that's just asking for trouble.

Draft saved Draft deleted