1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gunman kills five, wounds reporter in St. Louis suburb

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Jones

Jones Active Member

See, I'm going to sound like an asshole here, but here we sit -- oh, that's sad, that's tragic, what a nut, rot in hell -- and then by tomorrow we'll be wondering who's going to win the American League East and sitting in front of the TV watching Moment of Truth and Rock of Love 2, until another bunch of families are torn apart by another shooting in a mall or a post office or on a city bus or a high school, and then we'll do the customary meaningless hand-wringing until the microwave dings and the popcorn's ready, and hey, it's a new episode of American Idol.

Fucking fix your fucking country already. It's sick, and it's getting sicker every day.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How do you fix the tinfoil hat crowd who thinks everything bad that happens to them is part of a grand conspiracy?

3. And this from a guy who just spent two days at the CPAC conference.
    End well, this thread now will not.

4. Jones

Jones Active Member

Inky,

1) Why are there so many crazy people walking the streets in the U.S.? What has made them go bonko in the first place, and what kind of system lets them just roam around, chattering away to themselves?

2) Why are they armed?

This is a uniquely American problem. These shootings rarely happen anywhere else in the world. There is something wrong down there. It's systemic, and it's never going to get fixed, because nobody cares until it's their wife who gets shot while browsing for a shawl.

5. Jones

Jones Active Member

Fenian, I don't get it.

Maybe I should have just said, "Wow, that's a shame. RIP." And then gone to eat a taco.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Some of us are trying or have tried. But with all the other dividing lines we have in this country, do you really think we CAN fix it at this point?

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

As long as weapon sales (on the black market and off) and prescription drug companies rule this country, both won't be changed. It's a shame, but it's the way it is.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

1. I think the percentage of nutballs is probably the same everywhere.

2. Because the gun lobby has kowtowed to the wingnut element of the NRA while ignoring the opinions of most gun owners who have no problems with a more regulation.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I noticed this quote from the brother ...

"It looks like my brother is going crazy, but he's just trying to get people's attention," Thornton said.

... and I was hoping some responsible member of the family would rein in this asshole. But I guess Mom's on the same wavelength.

Yeah...killing five people always gets my attention.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

End. Of. Discussion.

11. Jones

Jones Active Member

End of discussion? Really?

Sweet. I'm glad it's settled, problem's solved, and I can go watch some TLC Daytime.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted