1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gunman kills five, wounds reporter in St. Louis suburb

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

And and elementary school teacher was shot this morning in southern Ohio.

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

In a suburb like this, though, there was likely more than 2 cops. I've been to city council meetings where the police chief and most of his officers came to every city council meeting.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I covered city council at my last stop. Thank God nothing happened like this. It's a shame.

4. We all agree that it's a shame and an awful tragedy, but this stuff really <i>surprises</i> you?

Frankly, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

As a footnote, the newspaper where the injured reporter worked (Suburban Journals) has an AP STORY up on the website. Am I missing something?

Link: <a href="http://suburbanjournals.stltoday.com/">Kirkwood-Webster paper</a>

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Just depends on the size of the town as to how many cops are going to be there. But even with that, in a crowded room like the council chambers (at least, the ones I've been in) even half a dozen officers might have a hard time getting off a shot without hitting an innocent.

And how about the shooter's brother?
    "The only way that I can put into context that you might understand is that my brother went to war tonight with the people, the government that was putting torment and strife into his life," Thornton's brother, Gerald Thornton, told KMOV-TV of St. Louis.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It's a weekly paper. Without knowing the staff size, they may have not had a chance to really put much together.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The shooter's brother doesn't sound like they were all that close.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Here's the full story on the brother:

http://www.kmov.com/topstories/stories/kmov_localnews_080207_geraldthornton.9e51d0ab.html

And the brother sounds, to me, like he's mitigating the shooting at best, and condoning it at worst. Sounds like there's something running through this family.

9. "The government" was tormenting his life?
    End well, this will not.
    Everybody who's ever covered city government knows about these folks. Usually, they sit there, ruffle through an old briefcase full of papers, yell a couple of things about being screwed by "the government," and go home and wait on hold for an hour to appear on their favorite talk shows. Cranks with guns, though, is a new development.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A friend of mine refers to folks like this as CAVE men. CAVE Stands for:

Citizens
    Against
    Virtually
    Everything

11. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

The shooter's brother is on MSNBC now, doing everything short of saying he a.) was justified and b.) may not have done it in the first place.

What a nutbar.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Fucking Cardinals fans...

Draft saved Draft deleted