1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gunman in Miami Herald building ....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by healingman, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

When I worked there, they took security pretty seriously. The neighborhood had its share of crime, and back then there were huge riots every couple of years. One night a security guard called out to a newsroom employee by name, "Hey -----, come back here, I need to see your ID."

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

3. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

"The Herald, referring all questions to its legal team and laughing in the face of the rights of the press, refused to comment on the incident."

4. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

We were watching this on MSNBC at work today.

Glad it ended without violence.

Two weeks after I got to my current paper, in '94, a guy who had interned at my place, as well as the Miami Herald, waited in the parking lot for a female reporter with a shotgun.

The reporter and the gunman were friends during his time there, nothing more, I was assured. He didn't make it in his internship in Miami. He was an Ivy League school graduate and high school football standout. Played at the Ivy school too I believe.

I remember doing a big second-day story on the guy's sports background. He was caught rather easily and eventually convicted and sentenced for aggravated assault.

(I know, it should have been attempted murder -- the woman was shot twice in the stomach, and I was one of the newsroom types with her waiting for the ambulance -- but apparently my state doesn't have that statute on the books or something.)

He got 20 years. He served 10. He's out.

5. dmc

dmc Guest

caption/headline thingy (I am obviously not in the business) from the NY Daily News...

Cartoonist Draws Gun on Paper

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

classy

7. C'mon, a two page thread and nobody makes a LeBatard joke?

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The gun was a toy??

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061125/D8LJUET00.html

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

So no new openings at the Herald, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted