1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gundy: I was 40...now I'm 46?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Paynendearse, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-state-football-gundy-costs-chelf-a-memorable-moment/article/3908336

So Mike Gundy is back at it with his QBs. How long til an "I'm 46!" rant! I guess only if some reporter suggests he's protecting Chelf from unnecessary questions.
    Anyone from the Sooner state care to shed more light on this?

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Written by a reporter with an ax to grind. And this line was especially bush league.

"If Gundy is mad at me, he’s got all kinds of ammunition to respond. Call me an idiot. Call me out in the public marketplace, though since I’m not female, I don’t fit the profile of Gundy’s usual targets. Just ask our Jenni Carlson and the Tulsa World’s Kelly Hines."

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm about to turn 40 and so are a bunch of my friends. I'm posting a clip of that rant on all of their FB pages on their bday.

Gundy is a complete douche, but that may be the best coach rant of all-time.

I do love Herm's "Put your name on it" rant.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Any rant without the phrase "diddly poo" isn't worth its salt.

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Gundy seems to have a terminal case of "little man syndrome", where he feels the need to be heavy-handed and shout louder than anyone else to force people to look at him and pay attention to him. From the "I'm a man" fiasco, to the deal where he went apeshit when people working on his house dared to wear OU gear, to this one, he comes off looking like a pouty little brat.

I did love the ending to this column ...

"But Gundy’s problem with someone else cost Chelf a memory to last a lifetime.
    Oh, and one more thing. Someone filled in for Chelf on GameDay.
    Mike Gundy."

6. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Or the incredulous remark, "Playoffs?!"

Regarding Gundy, I think he's too worried about the typical storylines that always emerge in the media about QB controversies and whoever else should be starting in whose place.

I think QB controversies are often generated more by the media than they are by coaches. But coaches just need to shrug them off and accept that it comes with the territory.

Gundy's "I'm 40!" rant dealt with a different subject, though, and one in which I tend to believe events reported about were blown out of proportion.

Draft saved Draft deleted