1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gulf Of Tonkin, Can I Help You?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jan 10, 2008.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Ruth-Gehrig: Ahistorical. But not ahysterical.

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Then again, Clinton would have said, "I was just five minutes from teaching that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad fellow a thing or two."

3. The substance-free riposte is an SportsJournalists.com staple.

4. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

Hurling insults is one of the oldest tricks in the liberal handbook; you amuse me. But don't worry, I'll be around to refute your future left-wing propaganda. ;D
    I learned quickly in life that responding verbally to someone of your ilk is fruitless, and I know that there will not be very many written exchanges between us until you stop rewriting history: The World according to Fenian -- when are you going to cite any sources?
    The USA didn't start bombing Cambodia until Nixon resided in the White House; according to a passage in Wikipedia, Sihanouk invited the North Vietnamese into his country much earlier than that -- THE RED CARPET IF YOU WILL.
    In April 1965, Pol Pot went to North Vietnam to gain approval for an uprising in Cambodia against the government. North Vietnam refused to support any uprising because of agreements being negotiated with the Cambodian government. Sihanouk promised to allow the Vietnamese to use Cambodian territory and Cambodian ports in their war against South Vietnam.
    Nowhere in my post did I say that there was a clear-cut victor in the Iran-Iraq war.
    Is Fenian a code word for pedant because you must of went to your War Thesaurus to come up with the War of Jenkins.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Oh wikipedia! Is there anything you can't do?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmer_Rouge

However, more recently historians have cited the U.S. intervention and bombing campaign (spanning 1965-1973) as a significant factor leading to increased support of the Khmer Rouge among the Cambodian peasantry. Historian Ben Kiernan and Taylor Owen have used a combination of sophisticated satellite mapping, recently unclassified data about the extent of bombing activities, and peasant testimony, to argue that there was a strong correlation between villages targeted by U.S. bombing and recruitment of peasants by the Khmer Rouge. Kiernan and Owen argue that "Civilian casualties in Cambodia drove an enraged populace into the arms of an insurgency that had enjoyed relatively little support until the bombing began."

In his 1996 study of Pol Pot's rise to power, Kiernan argued that "Pol Pot's revolution would not have won power without U.S. economic and military destabilisation of Cambodia" and that the U.S. carpet bombing "was probably the most significant factor in Pol Pot's rise."

6. "The USA and moderate Arab states feared the consequences if a clear-cut victor emerged from the conflict. That fear became reality when Iraq invaded Kuwait in 1990."

But he never said there was a clear-cut winner in the Iran-Iraq war.
    People should read their own posts.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Um, looks like Iran won hands-down.

The Shiites control Iraq.

Draft saved Draft deleted