1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gulf of Mexico says Hello Dolly

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Looks like Dolly is blinking.

http://images.intellicast.com/WeatherImg/RadarLoop/sat_None_anim.gif

Eyewall regeneration? That could be good news.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Now playing Led Zeppelin in honor of this sentence; nobody in South Texas will appreciate my sense of humor or musical taste today.

Also, here's a look at the rest of the hurricane season from XKCD ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Fixed so the graphic can be seen without clicking.

EDIT: Even Webby's magical image-shrinking technology can't make Tejas look small.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

There is the potential for flash flooding, but for the most part, like A_QB said, there isn't anyone that lives out there to really be hurt by this. At least once it gets past the Valley.

I would imagine West Texas would welcome the rain.

5. Football_Bat

I wouldn't say nobody lives there. The three southernmost counties (Cameron, Hidalgo and Willacy) have a combined population of 1.1 million people. South of the river, Lord only knows how many.

At 100 mph at last check, Dolly's got another couple of hours over open water and is a snack cake away from a Cat 3.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I meant once it gets past the coast, in reference to West Texas, New Mexico and Arizona, in answer to Italian Stallions question.

Is it surprising this is building so fast?

7. Football_Bat

Goes to show you're crazy if you poo-poo these storms. Remember Claudette a few years ago? It looked like a humdrum tropical storm until just near landfall, when it blew up suddenly into a Cat 2 and made a rush for the shore. Port Lavaca got walloped, and nobody saw it coming.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Same with Alicia in 1983, going from weak Cat 1 to Cat 3 in 24 hours and smacking into Galveston, which evacuated for a weaker storm.

Dolly's over warm water with little wind shear, so once it got its circulation established at all levels, it was in the right spot to grow quickly. Good thing this didn't happen sooner or it could have been a considerably stronger storm. And stronger storms tend to curve north more, so Corpus Christi could have been in the crosshairs.

I am noticing a disturbing lack of Stephanie Abrams in the field. Her warm front-enhancing t-shirts during hurricane coverage are what made her a legend :(

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A lot of the state would welcome the rain. Be nice to get it a different way but it always seems to be a hurricane that breaks these long hot dry spells.

Draft saved Draft deleted