1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guitar World: 100 best solos

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by tommyp, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I'd add Jan Akkermann's frantic work on Hocus Pocus by the 1970s band Focus. The video is hilarious:

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

You're my new best friend, Zeke. Even if it is McCready.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

GREAT call. Love that video.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

fuckin' live. good god, that one is great. moves me near tears every time. fuckin' incredible. just incredible

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Television isn't on there and three songs rate: Little Johnny Jewel, Marquee Moon and Torn Curtain. One's gotta make the cut.

YHS, etc

6. Rambler

Rambler Member

The Mick Taylor solo at the end of "Sway" is amazing. Never could figure out why the Stones faded that song so quickly.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Let's see ... "La Villa Strangiato," "Spirit of Radio," "Analog Kid," and maybe even "Between The Wheels" ... and they picked "Working Man" for Alex Lifeson? Oops.

And no Steve Hackett? I'll put "Spectral Mornings" (the track, not the album) against a lot of the cuts that made the list.

8. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

I think Kirk Hammett is very underrated. Great, great solos. Agree with whoever had his playing on Disposable Heroes. Good stuff.

As a KISS fan, its cool to see Ace Frehley on there. "Shock Me" has one of his better solos, but I'm partial to "Strange Ways" off of the Hotter Than Hell album. KISS fans know what I'm talking about on that solo.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Nice post, Junkie! Agreed.

10. I second that emotion. "Working Man" is a fine solo, but Lifeson has at least seven or eight others that are better.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

FUCKING A! Maggot Brain (the song and album) is fucking awesome. Eddie Hazel is totally the shit and underrated.

Is my buzzed state affecting my writing on this post? Hell yes it is, but I sincerely love Eddie Hazel and Funkadelic.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I am the biggest Stones fan ever, and Mick Taylor is my favorite Stones guitarist, even more so than Keef.

Draft saved Draft deleted