1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guitar World: 100 best solos

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by tommyp, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

No Mike Campbell makes this list a fucking farce!

I mean, at least put his solo on Into the Great Wide Open on there, or from A Woman in Love, which I feel is one of the very best early Petty songs.

misterbc likes this.
  2. I'd put "Love Reign O'er Me" as the Townshend solo to put up there. If anything, "Won't Get Fooled Again" was an eight-minute, 32-second long bass solo. The stuff Entwistle does underneath it all is amazing.

3. joe

joe Active Member

"Comfortably Numb" is one of my favorites.
    Don't know if it can properly be called a solo, but Nels Cline's guitar in "At Least That's What You Said" is incredible.
    And, sportschick, although I guess you can call Cobain's work in "Teen Spirit" a solo, it was more of him mocking the big-rock, arena-rock cliche of a guitar solo. It's the chorus without the words, once, and then he's done.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Couldn't just about every song of Joe Satriani's be on this list? Same for Steve Vai and Eric Johnson (although he sings a lot more than the other two).

Favorite albums of Satch (and I've got them all): Crystal Planet and The Extremist. I also love the song Memories from Dreaming #11 and the Surfin' album.

Vai's entire three-song take from the G3 with Satriani and Johnson is superb, albeit live and not making GW's top 100 list.

Cliffs of Dover is EJ's masterpiece, but I also like Zap.

As for one song with a kick-ass solo, check out Walter Trout (blues section) and Friends album called Full Circle. The song he does with Joe Bonamassa, Clouds on the Horizon, is epic! The two are solid together.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

A lot of solos that weren'[t as good as other work by the same artists, but those better solos were in lesser-known songs. Honestly, I knew before I opened the link what No. 1 was.

Still, it's a LOT better than Rolling Stone's horrible greatest guitarists list, the one that ranked the dude from White Stripes as on par with Eddie Van halen or Jimmy Page.

Agree with the gentleman who posted that for Alex Lifeson, Analog Kid was a great solo by him, while I would also say the one from Closer to the Heart is superior to Working Man as well.

For Mr. Page, I think his work on Since I've been Loving You is better than either Stairway or Heartbreaker. For Mr. Hammet of Metallica, his work on Disposable Heroes is great for changing tempos, and his greatest speed work is in Dyer's Eve.

For Guns 'n' Roses, I personally like Slash's work on Estranged and Nightrain.

But for the most part, these tunes aren't as well known, so there ya go.

Zero argument with Eruption.

6. Tommy_Dreamer

Looking through it again,

Can't believe they left off Hammett's work on Unforgiven. If you watch the Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica DVD, you'll know how much he struggled with that and how good it really became after he worked on it so much.

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Nels Cline didn't play on "A Ghost is Born"...that guitar work is all done by Mr. Jeff Tweedy, according to Wilcoworld.com.
    Also, "Ball and Biscuit" by the White Stripes should be on the list. And I don't know if it's a solo exactly, but on "When You Sleep" by My Bloody Valentine, Kevin Shields does this sort of giddy, woozy guitar work that sounds like what it feels like to fall in love.

8. Tommy_Dreamer

I will say this, at least they give love to Dimebag Darrell! :)

9. August West

August West Member

on the double cd jgb release from 1991, the one with a bunch of dylan covers, jerry did a solo that's the closest rock n' roll has ever gotten to coltrane.

also, every solo lowell george ever played.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Oh, I forgot a big favorite of mine: Eric Bell's solo on Thin Lizzy's "The Rocker." With so much space between the guitar, bass and drums, the solo is like riding a rollercoaster.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I'm also going to put this out there -- and I half expect to be laughed at for it.

Tears for Fears, Everybody Wants to Rule the World. It's the guitar part as the song begins to fade out. I still love that part of it and it makes me wish they'd leave it playing instead of ending it.

12. joe

joe Active Member

I was thinking Cline did it on the "Kicking Television" CD, but I could be wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted