1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guitar World: 100 best solos

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by tommyp, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Damn, now THAT'S a call.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

No love for Marty McFly's tributes to Chuck Berry, Pete Townshend, Angus Young and Eddie Van Halen on "Johnny B. Goode" ???

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Figured this could use an updating.
    David Gilmour. Comfortably Numb. Live in Gdasnk. 2006

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I had forgotten about the 3 minute Prince solo in there that is absolutely incredible.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I said this on a thread several years ago about that Prince solo. I thought it was really self indulgent on his part -- a giant "look at me!"

The whole thing was supposed to be about George Harrison, and instead he was itching to make it about Prince. That said, I was bored to tears before he stepped on stage -- it was a really poor cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps, with a couple of geriatrics baked out of their skulls mumbling in monotone -- which wasn't much a tribute either. The only excuse for it could I come up with was that Prince was trying to pump some oxygen back into the room.

The solo on that song was brilliant in its subtlety, and what Prince did was the opposite of that. If the aim was to honor George Harrison and the original song, I really thought it failed.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Revisiting this thread it is hilarious to see Clive Davis take credit for Springsteen's stage prowess. His book, The Soundtrack of my Life, (which came out in 2013), is one huge ego trip with endless name dropping and he takes credit for discovering every major artist of the last 150 years. To me the most interesting bits - not the revelations of his personal life with seems to take up the last quarter of the book - are the rare occasions when he mentions he whiffed on somebody.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Fair point. There was a whole bunch of "Look at me go!" in that solo. If you just heard it, and didn't see the video of it, would you have a different perspective?
    Soundwise, I think it's incredible.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I thought watching it was what made it better. He put his style on it

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Fitting this thread should reemerge on Clapton's 72nd birthday

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Is the guy between Tom Petty and Prince somebody I should know?

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Dhani Harrison apparently thought it was all right.

[​IMG]

The original solo of WMGGW was not restrained or subtle; that was the whole point of bringing Eric Clapton in to play it.

If George had wanted the solo to be restrained and unobtrusive, he would have played it himself. He brought in Clapton, who was known at the moment as the most spectacular soloist (with the exception of Hendrix).

Bringing in Prince 40 years later was pretty much the same thing.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted