1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guitar World: 100 best solos

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by tommyp, Jan 18, 2007.

1. tommyp

tommyp Member

http://guitar.about.com/library/bl100greatest.htm

This is a very varied list, which I'm sure will generate lively debate.

Personally, I'm a fan of Heartbreaker, by Zeppelin (Jimmy Page) and 25 or 6 to 4 by Chicago (Terry Kath), which in my mind is the most underrated solo ever.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The author's admiration for Stevie Ray Vaughn is commendable. The author's fondness for some pretty mediocre metal chops is baffling. One Duane Allman solo? No way. No Steve Cropper on Green Onions? Booo!

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Um, "Honky Tonk Women" isn't really on "Let it Bleed." Not technically. Come on, Guitar World. You're better than that.

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

No love for Mike Campbell?

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Which song? "Listen to Her Heart" perhaps?

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Under-rated, Badge by Cream and EC. Not the longest but leaves you wanting more.

Layla and Whipping Post not graded high enough.

Brighton Rock was a great call.

No love for Johnny Winter ...

YHS, etc

7. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

I'm with you. Jesus.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"All Along The Watchtower" is my fave Jimi solo. But I would have made room here for "Red House" and "The Wind Cries Mary" too.

Lots of SRV which is good to see. My fave Stevie solo would be in the live version of "Texas Flood" from the Montreux Jazz Festival. "Scuttle Buttin'" is great, but "Rude Mood" has loads of great solo bits.

One solo I would have loved to see there: James Honeyman-Scott's solo in the Pretenders' "Tattooed Love Boys" which channeled pretty much every great English rock guitarist.

Good to see some love for "Yellow Ledbetter" which I love more every time I hear it and, even though "November Rain" was beaten to death upon its release, Slash's solo remains among the most lyrical I've ever heard.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

On "I Need To Know" definitely.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

First the good: Glad to see Slash in the top 10 for November Rain.

Then, the bad: Mike McReady gets fucked. 44 for Alive? More puzzling, in the 90's for Yellow Ledbetter? No mention of Porch?

YL should be top 10, and all of the above are better guitar work than more than half the shit on the list...

11. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

No love for J. Mascis? BOOOOOO!

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

amen!

although, like dr pepper, there's no period in j

Draft saved Draft deleted