1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guitar stuff

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

I've wanted to name mine, but I can't think of a cool enough name.

Someone said that because it's a Kramer, I should call it "Cosmo." I actually considered it just because I didn't have a better suggestion of my own. I finally decided that no name at all is better than "Cosmo."

Plus, it's liable to make me think of the male and stupid half of the Fairly OddParents:

[​IMG]

2. KG

KG Active Member

I was drinking one night and started referring to it as my "sexy girl," since anything you own and name is supposed to be a girl (like a car). It completely backfired on me when I asked a guy if he'd play my sexy girl. Now the wording we use is a running joke that sounds really dirty to outsiders.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I guess I have referred to it as "baby girl" on occasion, but I feel guilty about that since that's also what I've called each of my vehicles, hahaha.

I'll tell you one thing about her, if I can refer to my guitar in the female form - I can make her sing real pretty. She sounds like heaven to me when I put my hands on her. 8) :D

4. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

I feel the same way reading this thread. I used to have this (with a fixed bridge/tailpiece)...

[​IMG]

and this...

[​IMG]

...until I had to sell both to afford rent and food. Man, was that an awesome combo.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I've known several people who've had to do that, M-E.

Makes a person feel sad/guilty to look at the guitars in a pawn shop ... :(

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I had an old Gibson Howard Roberst that I hocked several years ago. I really wish I hadn't.

[​IMG]

In college, I sold my banjo, Peavy Bandit and a pair of creepers to the guitar player from the Three Blue Teardrops for $40 two packs of smokes and a lighter.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've started thinking about a resonator, specifically a tricone with a wood body, which is rare.
    Anyway, this guy's playing what sounds like a spider.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

This is unbelievably sick:

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

fixed. and, yes, it was indeed sick. Oh, to be able to play like that.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've been checking out some other clips of the same guy, Oberg.
    I'll post them later this week if I get a chance. The guy's pretty wild.
    As far as I can tell, no relation to John Oberg, who brought the wing-T offense to South Jersey high school football.

11. Thanks Buck. Any other good sites for beginners?

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

As I mentioned, I'm partial to AcousticGuitar.com, which is the Web site for the magazine of the same name. Really well done.
    UltimateGuitar.com is pretty good. They've got lessons and tips there, plus song chords.
    If you just want to strum and sing, one way to learn is just to get songs with chords.
    As you learn more songs, you learn how chords go together in different keys and modes.
    There used to be agreat site called OLGA.net - the Online Guitar Archive - but it got shut down.
    Chordie.com and azchords.com are good sites for that stuff.
    It's a fun and entertaining way to learn the real basics, but I really recommend lessons.
    Nothing beats sitting there, one-on-one with a person teaching you. You start out with better hand position and fingering, which pays off in the long run. You learn ornamentation faster. It's just better.

But simple strumming and singing can be fun, too.
    In addition to the sites a mentioned, you can find a buttload of video lessons on YouTube.

Draft saved Draft deleted