1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guitar stuff

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I taught myself a long time ago, but in retrospect I wish I had learned a little more formally.
    You should look into taking some lessons for a while, just to get some fundamental techniques.
    AcousticGuitar.com is a great resource you should check out.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

By the way, here's another clip of Justin King, the same kid linked by KG, different song:

3. KG

KG Active Member

The music the kid in August Rush plays reminds me of the way King plays.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It's 16 inches across.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I think it's an L5 then.
    L5 was 16 inches then. The L7 went to 17 inches in 1935.
    Very sweet. Does it have cracks? Do you live in a very dry climate?
    You might want to think about a humidifier for it.
    I would love to have guitar like that. I've been pining for an archtop for a long time.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I played all the time in my teens, less in my 20s and stopped entirely in my 30s. This thread just might get me to consider starting again if I can ever afford to buy a guitar.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If I were to play like anyone - and I'm more interested in other facets like percussion, synths in certain cases and enjoy more traditional instrumentation when done well - I would want to emulate Steve Hackett. Brilliant technical player, not worried about flash and understands that guitar - even electric for a band - is a LOT more than flash.

He's also continued to grow and evolve in the 30 years since he left a serious group. That group, while it continued to do great things, never replaced what Hackett brought to the table.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I had a similar experience, KG.

I visited Nashville in 1998 and took my guitar along just for fun. I stayed at the Hall of Fame Motor Inn and went to the karaoke in the hotel bar, where I fell in with a bunch of people. We were sitting around as the karaoke petered out, and someone said it would be great if there was a guitar so we could still sing. So I went upstairs and grabbed mine and brought it back down. It got passed around by a bunch of people and I had never heard it sound like they made it sound. It was amazing.

One guy who was quite a good player actually said, after his turn, how much he enjoyed playing it because it sounded so rich. I agreed with him and thanked him. I should have told him it was playing like his that made it sound so wonderful in the first place. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Just for some fun.

10. KG

KG Active Member

Mine's a lefty, so it's rare for me to find someone I can hand it to and let them play.

On a side note, how many of you have named your guitar?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have never named any inanimate object or body part.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Speaking of archtops, I just played a couple of Eastman's today. They were beautiful.
    Sounded a little thin to me.
    I wouldn't be buying one this year anyway, but I'll have to play another.

Draft saved Draft deleted