1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guitar stuff

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Hey, if that guitar is really an L Series Gibson from 1937, that is a beautiful guitar.
    I'd offer to buy it from you, but I don't think I could afford it.
    You should have it appraised.

On an unrelated note, somebody recently turned me onto the Lost Fingers, which is a Quebecois trio.
    Check out their cover of 'Pump up the Jam.' It is great.
    http://www.myspace.com/thelostfingers

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It wasn't a truly official appraisal, but I took it to a guitar show at a local music store year back. It was put on by the Gibson guys. The guy loved it, but it's got enough nicks in it that he roughly guessed only about $700 at that time.

Your interest in it caused me to pull it out of its case and actually play it and it plays beautifully yet. My Martin has a deeper sound, but the old Gibson actually plays easier. I still have problem with buzzing strings on the Martin when I play a barre chord, but not at all on the old Gibson.

I think tomorrow I'm going to take some good wood cleaner and polish it and see if I can bring back some of the luster to the wood.

It still has the old rope tied to the neck and the bottom that serves as a strap. A thin, brown and white, braided rope. When that Gibson guy was showing it during the show years ago he said that was one of the really interesting things to him. Said it was exactly the kind of rope/string that guys like Roy Rogers and such had as "straps" back in the day.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Don't use wood cleaner.
    Go to the music store and get some Dr. Duck's to clear it. That stuff is great.
    It is very gentle, so it doesn't do any damage to the finish. It's also good for the fret board.
    You have ot be careful about what you use on a guitar like that.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

This guy's kicking it with an L7:

5. old_tony

Good idea. Thanks.

And thanks for starting this thread. I always figured there had to be some real guitar guys on this board.

And now I note that the picture in the gbase.com ad at the bottom of this page has a guitar that looks like it could be the old Gibson.

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Billy F Gibbons gives a Blues lesson.

7. old_tony

That was great to watch and listen to. And it's also good to know the name of what I have because that's definitely the same guitar.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Today at the theater we saw the new documentary "It Might Get Loud," in which Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White talk guitars and guitar playing. They all seem pretty into the hardware.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to that movie, but I'll probably have to catch it on DVD. I doubt it will make it here.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Tony, when you get a chance measure the width of the body on that old Gibson. Maybe we can determine if it's an L7 or L5.

11. KG

KG Active Member

[​IMG]

This is what I'm learning to play on, but mine has a solid top. That one doesn't look solid. It's not an expensive guitar, but it sounds really nice. I had someone I trust play it for me one night. It sounded so good to hear it played by someone who can play really well.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That one looks similar to mind, KG. Goofing around on an acoustic is a great way to learn how to play -- and it doesn't tick off the neighbors as much as an electric.

Also, as someone who took the D.I.Y. approach to learning the guitar, I always enjoy seeing someone with real talent/skills play at a local bar. It can only help!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted