1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guilty Pleasures - Music Edition

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UNCGrad, Feb 15, 2020.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

ABBA- Dancing Queen; just a joyful tune and a joyful time in my life.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I remember a Kenny Loggins “This Is It” being the NCAA montage music at least one year in the early 1980s.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I have zero guilt about Crenshaw or The Bangles. Marshall wrote two dead solid classic pop songs in "Someday, Someway" and "There She Goes Again". The Bangles were a fine girl group with a recognizable sound and great taste in cover songs.

I was severely hooked by ELO as soon as I heard the album version of "Roll Over Beethoven" on my local college radio station when ELO II came out in '73 or so. I never had a reason to change my mind.

maumann likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

My guilty pleasure is Bananarama, and throw in the Fun Boy Three records that were done with them. Trigger warning: Severe 80's hair.

What can I say, I like girl groups, and that stretch with them, The Bangles, The Go-Gos, The B-52s (who weren't a girl group, exactly, but they fit in) in the 80's stuck with me.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I don't have any guilty pleasures. I'm pretty comfortable in my musical tastes. I listen to plenty of things that have been mentioned on this thread with no shame.

I was going to write some high-minded thing about how there are no guilty pleasures and you shouldn't feel bad about listening to anything... and then I remembered a conversation I had with a co-worker last week when she explained her deep, obsessive love for Kid Rock's music. Fuck that, she should be humiliated by that.

FileNotFound and UNCGrad like this.
  6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A high school girlfriend was a big B-52s fan.

I liked them just fine until Fred opened his annoying pie-hole and ruined every song on which he sung.

Three's a crowd, buddy!

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Think I still have the Fred Schneider & the Shake Society cassette somewhere.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm a sucker for immediate post-Beatles power pop and later jangle-pop bands who emulated that sound.

Badfinger, Raspberries, T. Rex, etc etc.

misterbc likes this.
  10. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Raspberries. “Side 3” is so good. Wally Brison is a low key, no frills rock and roll guitar master. Saw and heard them for the first time on “Don Kirshners Rock Concert” in my apt with some friends tugging on a chillin and a few Js. They played “I’m a Rocker”. Pure pop gold. 1973 I believe.

Draft saved Draft deleted