1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guilty Pleasures - Music Edition

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UNCGrad, Feb 15, 2020.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

My latest response to the "Song You are Listening To Now" thread got me to thinking for a new thread, and apologies if this has been done a time or two before:

What is your favorite guilty pleasure from a music perspective? Artist, band, whatever.

I'll admit, it ain't ever been cool to like Huey Lewis and the News, but that's mine. I do love that band (and hate the news of Huey's hearing loss). Huey was my first concert as a kid - thanks Dad; those tickets in 1987 weren't easy to get, ahem, back in time - and I spent a lot of afternoons as an only child shooting baskets in the driveway with mid-80s radio and Huey. (Looking back, I do feel their R&B/Blues foundation was lost in the hits heyday, and their new - and last - album is terrific.)

So, this is a safe space. What is your guilty pleasure in music? And feel free to share clips:

I Should Coco likes this.
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Always loved Culture Club. Karma Chameleon is a great song.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What, it's a good song!

UNCGrad likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And yes, Karma Chameleon is a great song.

Every day is like survival (survival)
    You're my lover, not my rival
    Every day is like survival (survival)
    You're my lover, not my rival

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Neil Diamond

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I sing along with MMMBop and Wannabe.
    I'm so ashamed.

Jssst21 and OscarMadison like this.
  7. John

John Well-Known Member

Do Rick Astley's two or three hits still make me smile and sing along? Absolutely.

Same for Richard Marx.

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

When I talk about the history of American music in my Intro to Mass Communication classes, I show this video as typical of something that was shown during the early days of MTV. It's often the last music they'll hear before we leave class that day, and I always apologize for that song getting stuck in their heads for the rest of the day.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

"Make Me Smile" is the first song I remember from Chicago and got me totally hooked on the group.

misterbc likes this.
  10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

FWIW, Richard Marx has a fantastic Twitter feed.

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I’ve always enjoyed Sweet. Desolation Boulevard was a great proto metal album, but there are some other great songs and albums in their discography. Blockbuster is one example.

Same goes for the Bay City Rollers. It was bubble gum rock, but Saturday Night is a fist pumper and inspired the Ramones to write Blitzkrieg Bop.

maumann likes this.
  12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The band The 77s was poised to get a big push in 1987 with their third overall album and first nationally-distributed, self-titled project. This was going to be a big song.

The U2 released Joshua Tree and the 77s got forgotten about.

I may listen to this album more than U2.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted