1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guillen: Mariotti a "(bleeping) fag"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 85bears, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Of course, not everyone hears comments the same way. I've got some gay friends -- who just so happen to be hacks -- who are pissed about it. It sends the message that they ought to keep their sexuality private in order to lead a happy life doing what they do. You might simply think of it as simply derisive, but to people in the gay community, it's blatantly anti-gay in tone.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Guillen gets one game, in my mind further advancing the notion that MLB is spineless. Sorry, but Rocker set a precedent in this regard, and he got, what, 30 games? Ang Guillen gets one? I don't think that's consistent.

3. From what I'm hearing on ESPN (multiple times,) the one game is for ordering Riske to throw a beanball. It's NOT for the comments. According to the Sox web site, Bud has fined Guillen and ordered him to sensitivity training. Real harsh, Bud. Especially compared to Rocker and Marge, who, coincidentally, Reinsdorf helped push out.

4. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

No, Ozzie Guillen didn't get suspended one game for his comments about Mariotti.

He was finded an undisclosed amount and ordered to attend sensativity training. Rumors are that it's $25K.  The one game suspension was for David Riske hitting Chris Duncan in retaliation for Sydney Ponson hitting two White Sox players back-to-back on Tuesday.  Same punishment that Joe Torre received for Randy Johnson throwing at Eduardo Perez after both teams were warned.

5. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

The one-game suspension is now almost automatic for a manager in that situation, I believe. Torre had to serve a one-game suspension earlier after the Randy Johnson episode vs. the Indians.

6. Just adding, according to the Sox web site, the Sox will not discipline Guillen. So it looks like all he'll get is the fine and the ordered training.

7. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Carl, if you want to call them a cocksucker, then call them that. Calling someone a "fag" is pretty damn derogatory. You say yourself that you consider it a derisive term. So it's going to be interpreted as derisive to gay people.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yeah, I didn't hear that part until after I posted this. He still deserves multiple games for the slur.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

No. Once you start with speech codes, where do they stop? Unless Guillen said he would split Mariotti in half and eat his liver, there should be no suspension.

The commish should simply point out Guillen is an idiot and let it go at that.

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I second that. Loved how Tony Kornheiser laughed during PTI when they showed the clip of Guillen saying that Mariotti was a piece of shit.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

ESPN is on in the background, I'm kind of half paying attention.
    Did I just hear the Sox' GM say something about maybe making a change if Ozzie's bullshit continues?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I heard that too. I don't remember the exact words, but he basically said he could end up having to deliver some bad news and announce the hiring of a new manager. It seemed like it wasn't just this incident, but Guillen's continued inability to use his brain when he speaks.

Draft saved Draft deleted