1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guillen: Mariotti a "(bleeping) fag"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 85bears, Jun 21, 2006.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I was with a friend and her two teenage boys, and every sentence those kids spoke to each other used the word fag or homo. "Shut up fag'...'That's mine, you homo...'  My friend made a joke of it to me, like 'that's just how kids talk.'  And she's right, but it doesn't make it right. I couldn't believe she wouldn't tell them to find a different insult.

Those words just seem to slide into the vocabulary without meaning what they actually mean.  If you're a kid in the backseat of the car, it's wrong....and if you're the manager of a major league baseball team talking openly to reporters about another member of the media, it's not only wrong, it's just fucking stupid.  If I was the owner, I'd suspend him just for embarrassing the organization.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Todd Jones just issued a prepared statement saying he doesn't want Mariotti being around him, rubbing it in his face.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If I was Mariotti, this is what I would want to happen to Guillen.

Nothing.

Maybe a private apology. I don't even think he'd want that since he wasn't there for the rant.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Here's my favorite paragraph of the column:

And a question for those who cover MLB, is Guillen a Latino Billy Martin? That's the sense I get from this column and some other stuff I've read.

5. 85bears

85bears Member

Are you kidding?

He just got column material for the next month out of this.

Mariotti should be sending Guillen a thank-you card.

6. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Rocker's actual quote (one of many): "I would retire first. It's the most hectic, nerve-racking city. Imagine having to take the [Number] 7 train to the ballpark, looking like you're [riding through] Beirut next to some kid with purple hair next to some <b>queer with AIDS</b> right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It's depressing."

Not sure if queer would be considered a slur or not to be honest.

However, my favorite Rocker quote of all, which shows you how clueless this guy truly was:

“I know Hank [ Aaron ] and Jackie [ Robinson ] took a good deal of crap, but I guarantee it wasn't for six years. I just keep thinking: How much am I supposed to take?”

All that aside...Guillen should be given a seat for a few days, if no other reason than to stop some of his silly tirades.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

21 is right. Calling someone a fag or homo in that context is a typical insult -- kinda like calling them a sissy. It doesn't mean you actually think they are gay.

But it is still wrong. It demeans all gays and makes just being gay an insult. It's like calling someone a nigger and rationalizing it by saying there are "white niggers" too.

That's why when I hear fag or homo or gay from my kids, I tell them we don't use those words as insults. It's not right to talk to people that way and we have friends who are gay and using words that way wrongs them.

But it is pervasive.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

exactly. it's like calling someone a jew. context is what's important. if someone talking about me (i'm jewish) said "that fucking jew" that might be technically true but the way you're using it is insulting. if someone said 'he's not taking x-mas off because he's a jew' that wouldn't bother me. if ozzie said 'oh, i saw that fag with his boyfriend the other day. i stopped and we had a couple of beers at a bar. it was fun. those fags are the funnies guys i've ever met.' that's insensitive but the intent is not to insult and he might get the benefit of the doubt.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

This'll all be worked out the next time Guillen's team finishes under .500.

When their teams are winning, managers and coaches like Guillen are "fiery."

When their teams are losing, they are "malcontents."

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That passage made me laugh, too. He should have added that he listens to Barbra Streisand and sings showtunes in the shower.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

leo, I might be reading this the wrong way. But what I get from it is that your penalty for Guillen would be less if you knew he went to the Gay Games, Madonna concerts and WNBA games.

Either he's wrong, or he's not wrong.

============================================

On another note, doesn't this seem tantalizingly similar to the argument over the N word?

"Oh, it's OK if I call him a shit-eater ... eaters of shit are some of my best friends..."

12. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Judy Garland posters in his office .... drives the Plymouth PT Cruiser ....

Draft saved Draft deleted